Tuesday, September 26, 2017

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 9-26-2017

Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Today's Gift

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it. ― Maurice Switzer

Zip It

Not every thought needs to become a spoken word. Not every feeling needs to become an action. Sometimes I need to just keep quiet. If my words will seem harsh—if they will ridicule, judge, or critique—I won't say them. If they will be unkind, I will be kind and leave them unsaid. If I have an opinion (or advice) that hasn’t been asked for, I will keep it to myself. If it's not an objective fact, I won't present it; if it's not a truth, I won't spread it; if it's not mine to discuss, I won't discuss it. If I don't want to know or don't need to know—and if I cannot or should not do anything about it—then I will not ask about it. If I'm mad, I don't need to yell it; if I'm resentful, I don't need to prove it; if I'm hurting, I don't need to hurt someone back. 

I need to think before I speak or act. Mostly, I just need to zip it.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

From the book Tending Dandelions ©

From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Walk In Dry Places

Willingness to listen

Willingness

Why is it that we'll accept information from some people but not from
others? Many people tried to advise us while we were drinking; why
would we listen only to recovering alcoholics?

We can't answer that question, except to say that most human beings are
willing to listen only to certain people at certain times. That's why business
organizations have to select sales people carefully; customers will respond to
some people, but not to others.

As we grow in sobriety, however, we develop the willingness to listen to people
we would have once avoided. We can find wonderful ideas in all sorts of places
and from all types of people. As we become more open-minded and willing, we
can listen more and learn more.

Action for the Day: My prejudices and fears of the past kept me from listening to people who would have helped me. I'll be more open-minded and willing today.


From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums Daily Recovery Readings - http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

****************************
One Day At A Time

Acceptance
We admitted we couldn't lick alcohol with our own remaining resources, and so we accepted
the further fact that dependence upon a Higher Power (if only our A.A. group) could do this
hitherto impossible job. The moment we were able to accept these facts fully,
our release from the alcohol compulsion had begun.
- As Bill Sees It, p. 109

Thought to Ponder
The Three A's .. Awareness, Acceptance, Action.

AA-related 'Alconym'
A B C = A
ccept, Begin, Continue

From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)

***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Respect and kindness
by Ralph Marston

Being rude doesn’t feel very good even while you’re doing it. Being genuinely considerate, on the other hand, can leave you feeling more positive and empowered for a long time afterward.

Rudeness and arrogance are unmistakable signs of weakness and insecurity. Kindness and polite consideration are reliable indicators of rock-solid confidence and strength.

How do you treat those whom you have no reason to impress, from whom you have nothing to gain? It says a lot about you, and people do indeed notice.

Those who are truly in a position of responsibility have no need for arrogance. Any positive impression you seek to make through arrogance or rudeness is immediately contradicted by the arrogance itself.

Don’t let your own arrogance waste your energy and set you back. Use each encounter as an opportunity to offer genuine respect and kindness.

Lift up the lives of those around you. And you lift up your whole world.

From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment