Thursday, October 13, 2016

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 10-13-2016

Thursday, October 13, 2016
Today's Gift

Substance over Form

I'm learning that for a variety of reasons, I've spent much of my life focusing on form rather than substance. My focus has been on having my hair done perfectly, wearing the right clothes, having my makeup applied perfectly, living in the right place, furnishing it with the right furniture, working at the right job, and having the right partner in life. Form, rather than substance, has controlled my behavior in many areas of my life. Now, I'm finally getting to the truth. It's substance that counts. —Anonymous

There is nothing wrong in wanting to look our best. Whether we are striving to create a self, a relationship, or a life, we need to have some solid ideas about what we want that to look like.

Form gives us a place to begin. But for many of us, form has been a substitute for substance. We may have focused on form to compensate for feeling afraid or feeling inferior. We may have focused on form because we didn't know how to focus on substance.

Form is the outline; substance is what fills it in. We fill in the outline of ourselves by being authentic; we fill in the outline of our life by showing up for life and participating to the best of our ability.

Now, as adults, we're learning to pay attention to how things work and feel, not just to what they look like.

Today, I will focus on substance in my life. I will fill in the lines of myself with a real person - me. I will concentrate on the substance of my relationships, rather than what they look like. I will focus on the real working of my life, instead of the trappings.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©



From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

Self-pity is one of the most dangerous forms of self-centeredness. It fogs our vision. ---Kathy S.

Sometimes we get stuck in our own way of seeing things. We may feel as if everything that happens, happens to us or for us. If it rains, we may think about our ruined picnic and not about the dry fields that need the rain. We need to focus on the big picture. This keeps us from becoming self-centered. If it rains, we’ll gather indoors and be glad for the farmers. When we do our part, things go well. When we don’t we feel it. Every else feels it too. Self pity keeps us from doing our part.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me see myself as a big part of the picture. My job is just is to do my part.

Action for the Day: Today, I’ll think about how I fit in with my Higher Power, my family, the place I work, my community. Do I do my part?

From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

****************************
One Day At A Time

Our Common Solution
The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution.
We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree,
and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action.
This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 17

Thought to Ponder . . .
Life will take on new meaning.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E L P =
Hope, Encouragement, Love, Patience


From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)

***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Appreciation
by Ralph Marston

There’s a way you can instantly make anything you have more valuable. All you have to do is more fully appreciate it.

The more you appreciate your skills, the more useful they become. The more you appreciate the people around you, the more helpful and enjoyable they become.

Appreciate your circumstances, and you’ll get more out of them. Appreciate the challenges, and you’ll transform them into achievements.

There’s a word commonly used to describe a financial, real estate or other asset that has gained value. That asset is said to have undergone appreciation.

Yet appreciation is about more than an increase in monetary value. By offering your own appreciation, you can add richness to every part of your world.

Consider all the good things in your life, and even the not-so-good things. Give them more appreciation, and they will all grow in positive value.


From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment