Friday, March 4, 2016

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 3-4-2016

Friday, March 4, 2016
Today's Gift

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. —Ursula K. LeGuin

Goals give direction to our lives. We need to know who we are and where we want to go. But the trip itself, the steps we travel, offer us daily satisfaction moment by moment - fillment, if we'd but realize it. Too often we keep our sights on the goal's completion, rather than the process--the day-to-day living that makes the completion possible.

How often do we think, "When I finish college, I'll feel stronger." Or, "After the divorce is final, I can get back to work." Or even, "When I land that promotion, my troubles are over." Life will begin "when" - so it seems in our minds. And when this attitude controls our thinking, we pass up our opportunity to live, altogether.

Looking back on goals already completed in our lives, what so quickly follows the end of a job well done is a let-down. And how sad that the hours, the days, the weeks, maybe even the months we toiled are gone, with little sense of all they could have meant.

I will not forget that every moment of every day I can be centered and joyous. The goal I'm striving toward will carry with it a special gift; it will offer the growing person within me an extra thrill, if I've attended to the journey as much as its end.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey ©


From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.---William Allen White

Big changes are happening to us, but we can trust that changes will bring good things. After all, what have we got to lose? We have lived through the days and years of our addiction. Now, with the help of our Higher Power, the pain of those days has ended. We have no reason to worry.

Yet, recovery won't make our lives perfect. Hard things still happened. But we never have to lose hope again. We never have to feel alone with our problems. What will come next? We don't know the details, but we can be sure the future will be good if we stay on our path of recovery.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, I know life holds many new things for me. Help me and protect me as I live in Your care today.

Action for the Day: Today, I'll trust that each day of my life will bring me good. I will share this idea with one friend.

From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

****************************
One Day At A Time

The Lesson
Above all, AA taught me how to handle sobriety. I have learned how to relate to people;
before AA, I could never do that comfortably without alcohol or drugs.
I have learned to deal with disappointments and problems that once would have sent me right to the bottle or high.
I have come to realize that the name of the game is not so much to stop drinking and drugging as to stay clean and sober.
Alcoholics and Addicts can stop drinking and drugging in many places and many ways -- but Alcoholics Anonymous offers us a way to stay clean and sober.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 558

Thought to Ponder . . .
Learn to change, change to learn.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A = Always Alive.

From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)


***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Go with what is
by Ralph Marston

Go with what is. Waiting or wishing for things to be different, just wastes time.

Start where you are. Your destination can be whatever you choose, yet your starting point must be the precise place where you are.

Use what you have. Whatever you have is enough to get going, so acknowledge and respect its value, and make full use of it.

Act in this moment. Resist the urge to put anything off until someday, because you deserve to begin making good things happen right now.

Aim for perfection, but don’t demand it as a prerequisite. Envision excellence, and start your way to it not from some idealized situation but from here and now.

From the reality of now, anything is possible, so embrace that reality fully. And utilize it to do great things.

From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment