Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Daily Motivation 12-7-10

Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Today's Gift

When the Time is Right

There are times when we simply do not know what to do, or where to go, next. Sometimes these periods are brief, sometimes lingering.

We can get through these times. We can rely on our program and the disciplines of recovery. We can cope by using our faith, other people, and our resources.

Accept uncertainty. We do not always have to know what to do or where to go next. We do not always have clear direction. Refusing to accept the inaction and limbo makes things worse.

It is okay to temporarily be without direction. Say, "I don't know," and be comfortable with that. We do not have to try to force wisdom, knowledge, or clarity when there is none.

While waiting for direction, we do not have to put our life on hold. Let go of anxiety and enjoy life. Relax. Do something fun. Enjoy the love and beauty in your life. Accomplish small tasks. They may have nothing to do with solving the problem, or finding direction, but this is what we can do in the interim.

Clarity will come. The next step will present itself. Indecision, inactivity, and lack of direction will not last forever.

Today, I will accept my circumstances even if I lack direction and insight. I will remember to do things that make myself and others feel good during those times. I will trust that clarity will come of its own accord.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990

 
********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
We are here to add what we can to, not to get what we can get from, Life. Sir William Osler
 
Service is a word we hear in our recovery program. Service means work we do for others. It's the backbone of our program. The reason is simple. Service to our Higher Power and to others breaks down our wanting to be self-centered. Service brings us back into the world. We really are part of the group when we pitch in to make coffee, set up chairs, or talk in meetings. We really feel like part of the family when we run errands and help with meals and housework. We really connect with our Higher Power when we pray, "Use me today to help others." Service breaks down the feeling of being alone that being self -centered brings.

Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, help me to be of service to You and others. Show me what is needed.
 
Action for the Day:  Today will be a service day. I'll see how valued I am. I'll give to others, knowing that I, too, will receive.
 

***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Complacency
~ Scroll down for share ~

How many of us would presume to declare, "Well, I'm sober and I'm happy.
What more can I want, or do? I'm fine the way I am."
We know that the price of such self-satisfaction
Is an inevitable backslide punctuated at some point by a very rude awakening.
- As Bill Sees It, p. 25

Thought to Ponder . . .
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Always Aware.

A MEMBER SHARES:
Hi, I'm Scott, and I'm an alcoholic. Everyone knows that old AA saying about your disease doing pushups in the parking lot. Well for me, that helps to keep things in perspective because I am really very lazy, particularly when it comes to sobriety. I don't know if that's a fair assessment, but I definitely could tighten things up a bit. I've been sober for a while now, and thankfully - thankfully -- I haven't had a relapse yet. But I can see very clearly that it would be a very easy thing to happen in my case. Because, while over the years I've been able to build up somewhat of a defense against my disease and my "toolbox" has gotten bigger and bigger, I am without a doubt powerless against that first drink. There's still a lot of the old me lingering around inside. At the drop of a hat, my mood can change 180 degrees, and I can go from feeling confident and secure to overwhelmed, exasperated, and very insecure. So I have to come here and stay close to God and to others in this program. Every day is but a reprieve I've been given as a gift, and it's up to me to treat it as such. Good to be here again -- thanks for letting me share.
 

******************** 
Daily Motivation
 
Right here
 
You are right where you should be at this moment. Now it is time to move on to what is next.
 
Whether your life up to this point has been easy or whether it has been difficult, you are here just the same. And your destiny does not care about your past.
 
There are plenty of reasons why you find yourself here at this time. What matter much more, though, are the reasons you now have for moving forward.
 
As good as they have been, your triumphs of the past are now little more than pleasant memories. As painful as they once were, your past failures are now behind you.
 
Do you realize how completely free you are at this very moment? Do you understand that the main thing holding you back is your belief that something is holding you back?
 
Today is your opportunity to fully taste that freedom and to finally get beyond the limits you've imposed on yourself. Reach inside, touch your most compelling purpose, and bring your best possibilities to life.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment