Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Daily Motivation 04-21-10‏

Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Today's Gift

Waiting

Wait. If the time is not right, the way is not clear, the answer or decision not consistent, wait.

We may feel a sense of urgency. We may want to resolve the issue by doing something - anything now, but that action is not in our best interest.

Living with confusion or unsolved problems is difficult. It is easier to resolve things. But making a decision too soon, doing something before it's time, means we may have to go back and redo it.

If the time is not right, wait. If the way is not clear, do not plunge forward. If the answer or decision feels muddy, wait.

In this new way of life, there is a Guiding Force. We do not ever have to move too soon or move out of harmony. Waiting is an action - a positive, forceful action.

Often, waiting is a Higher Power-guided action, one with as much power as a decision, and more power than an urgent, ill-timed decision.

We do not have to pressure ourselves by insisting that we do or know something before it's time. When it is time, we will know. We will move into that time naturally and harmoniously. We will have peace and consistency. We will feel empowered in a way we do not feel today.

Deal with the panic, the urgency, and the fear; do not let them control or dictate decisions.

Waiting isn't easy. It isn't fun. But waiting is often necessary to get what we want. It is not dead time; it is not downtime. The answer will come. The power will come. The time will come. And it will be right.

Today, I will wait, if waiting is the action I need in order to take care of myself. I will know that I am taking a positive, forceful action by waiting until the time is right. Higher Power, help me let go of my fear, urgency, and panic. Help me learn the art of waiting until the time is right. Help me learn timing.


From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.


*****************************
Twenty-Four Hours d Day

Walk in Dry Places

Action

The Good that I do

Why do we hold back when we're offered the opportunity to help others or to do something unusually kind? Why is it that many people are reluctant to give of themselves unless rewarded with recognition or praise?
We may hold back because we do not understand that any good action always brings its own reward. Despite Shakespeare's timeless saying, the good we do is not "interred with our bones"… it does survive, now and in the future.

We've learned in Twelve Step programs that it's not really satisfying to work only for recognition and praise. There also has to be a confident feeling that our efforts are contributing to a large good with a worthwhile purpose. That's what makes AA so special to people who are completely devoted to it… we know that anything done for AA makes the world a better place.

We should also know that those who can help others are fortunate, well-favored people. Others may want to help, but lack the tools. We have the tools to give the help that changes lives---- and the world.
Action for the Day: The good that I do today is a treasure I'll always possess. I need not fear the act of letting my higher self take over and guide me.

****************************
One Day At A Time

Miracles
~ Scroll down for share ~

Here was something at work in the human heart which had done the impossible.
My ideas about miracles were drastically revised right then.
Never mind the musty past; here sat a miracle directly across the kitchen table.
He shouted great tidings.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 11

Thought to Ponder . . .
Don't give up before the miracle happens.

AA-Related 'Alconym' . . .
O D A A T =
One Day At A Time.

A Member Shares:
I'm Connie, an alcoholic. This topic reminds me of what I was thinking Saturday night -- “Don't give up five minutes before the miracle!” I waited so long for a flash of lightning-type miracle that I did not realize I had been staying sober for eight months despite not working the Steps. Once I realized that fact, I then took action. That was now about four years ago, and since then I have been working Steps daily. I have never received a pink cloud, but I did receive a miracle. I'm totally in a class of statistics that don't favor me -- most don't make it. I am truly blessed. Without AA, I wouldn't even be alive -- I know that. Thank you for my life.

***************************************************
Daily Motivation
Be prepared

Fear will keep you alive, and yet it can also kill your dreams. Fear of the unknown will build a wall between you and your best possibilities.

Fear's most insistent message is -- be prepared. Be fully prepared, and fear will no longer hold you back.

Preparation takes effort and initiative, discipline and commitment. And it is well worth the effort, because it opens up a whole world of new options for you.

Your fear gives you a perfect excuse to avoid reaching for your most treasured dream. But wouldn't you rather have the dream than the excuse?

What is it that you fear? There is something you can do today, right now, to prepare -- something that will begin to dilute that fear.

Do the work to prepare yourself, to give yourself options, and the fear will lose its grip on you. Make the effort to be prepared, and move beyond every fear.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment