Friday, December 16, 2016

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 12-16-2016

Thursday, December 16, 2016
Today's Gift

Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart
And try to love the questions themselves. —Rainer Maria Rilke

Patience with ourselves may be the first step toward patience with others. In getting to know ourselves, we don't find what we have expected. If we did, we would only be proving what we already knew. Sometimes growth comes in surprising ways. It may be in acceptance and learning to love what is unsettled or unclear within. Some of us want to rush through our learning and push our growth too fast. Others of us want to have a strong sense of confidence in our relationships with others but always feel vulnerable. Some wonder why their fears suddenly rise without warning. Another longs to know why certain things happened to them in their youth. Our growth is not our invention. When answers come, they are gifts, and we do not control them.

In part, self-acceptance is to say, "Yes, I am a person with this question, this unsettled feeling. Being alive is to be actively engaged in knowing and loving my questions even when I find no answer."

Grant me the peace that comes with loving the unfinished part of me.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©

From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. ~Max Ehrmann

What does it mean to take care of myself emotionally? I recognize when I'm feeling angry, and I accept that feeling without shame or blame.

I recognize when I'm feeling hurt, and I accept those feelings without attempting to punish the source of my pain. I recognize and feel fear when that emotion presents itself.
I allow myself to feel happiness, joy, and love when those emotions are available. Taking care of myself means I've made a decision that it's okay to feel.

Taking care of my emotions means I allow myself to stay with the feeling until it's time to release it and go on to the next one.

I recognize that sometimes my feelings can help point me toward reality, but sometimes my feelings are deceptive. They are important, but I do not have to let them control me. I can feel, and think too.

I talk to people about my feelings when that's appropriate and safe.

I reach out for help or guidance if I get stuck in a particular emotion.

I'm open to the lessons my emotions may be trying to teach me. After I feel, accept, and release the feeling, I ask myself what it is I want or need to do to take care of myself.
Taking care of myself emotionally means I value, treasure, explore, and cherish the emotional part of myself.

Action for the Day: Today, I will take care of myself emotionally. I will be open to, and accepting of, the emotional part of myself and other people. I will strive for balance by combining emotions with reason, but I will not allow intellect to push the emotional part of myself away.

From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

****************************
One Day At A Time

Reborn
For the first time, I began to understand that I couldn't drink like other people,
that I wasn't like other people, and that I no longer had to try to be.
I felt like Scrooge in the Dickens classic, "The Christmas Carol,"
when he awakes to discover he hasn't missed Christmas after all.
He dances, cries, and laughs aloud, just as I was doing.
Scrooge and I had been reborn to live life as we had never known it.
- Came To Believe . . ., p. 37

Thought to Ponder . . .
The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
T H I N K = T
he Happiness I Never Knew

From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)

***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Choosing your thoughts
by Ralph Marston

The rudder does not move the ship, yet it determines precisely which direction the ship will go. In the same way, your thoughts don’t make anything happen on their own, yet they absolutely determine what you cause to happen.

You’ll find it almost impossible to think one thing and do another. If your thoughts are in any way opposed to your actions, those actions will not be effective.

When you seek to be creative, productive, prosperous, successful, align your thoughts with what you seek. Fill your mind with thoughts of abundance, of possibilities, of achievement, and your actions will create that achievement.

Your thoughts set the course for your day, your year, your life. Your thoughts tell you what to do next, and what to do after that, and after that.

No, your thoughts cannot short-circuit the laws of physics to make a brand-new car appear in your driveway. However, your thoughts can most certainly keep you positively focused and directed enough to reach the goals you’re willing to work toward.

You are constantly choosing your thoughts, and those thoughts are always pointing the way forward. So think love, think fulfillment, think possibilities, think achievement, think positive and think yourself into the best world you can imagine.

From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment