Friday, February 26, 2016

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 2-26-2016

Friday, February 26, 2016
Today's Gift

There is no shortcut to life. To the end of our days, life is a lesson imperfectly learned. --Harrison E. Salisbury

There are no perfect days. We have struggled hard against this truth. In our demanding ways, we haven't wanted life to be a process; we have wanted to reach a secure point of arrival. We have struggled against the dialogue and learning process of experience. We've looked for a "fix" and for perfection. We long to "get it right." We continue to learn and to grow, but the lessons we learn are not the things we expected. We grieve the lateness of our learning, and then we go on to learn more.

As we grow older and wiser, we learn how to learn. We become more accepting of life as a process with no shortcut to the truth. We learn to engage in the process and accept that there usually is no right or wrong answer at the end of our search.

Today, may I accept the truth, which comes from the lessons of my experience -- and be tolerant of its incompleteness.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©


From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

Forewarned. forearmed: being prepared is half the victory.---Miguel de Cervantes

Ther will be hard times in our program. There will be hard times in our lives. That's the way the life is. It helps if we accept this. Then we can prepare for tough times. We can prepare by getting a good set of habits and sticking to them. We can make it a habit to give time to our program each day. Sticking to good habits is like having a savings account: when hard times come, we can take the "investment" we've made and overcome our problems.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me accept that there will be hard times. Help me prepare for them. With Your help, I'll stay close to You, my friends, and the program.

Action for the Day: I'll put something into my program "savings account" today. I'll make that extra call. I'll read a little longer or go to an extra meeting.

From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

****************************
One Day At A Time

Generation Gap
I walked into my first AA meeting a month after my 70th birthday. . . Half-sober, I got myself to an AA meeting near my home.
My first reaction, as I stared at the people in the meeting was to flee. Unwittingly, I had walked into a young people's meeting.
The leader, a girl named Kathy, was fourteen and one-half years old, with six months' sober.
Muttering, I turned toward the exit and found myself face to face with a young man, who stuck out a hand.
"My name is Frank." "I'm not staying. I'm in the wrong place." He got a whiff of my breath. "I'd say you aren't."
That evening, I learned that the generation gap works both ways.
While I had as much chance for recovery as a girl of 14, she was as likely to die from alcoholism as I was.
- Time To Start Living, AA Pamphlet P-7, pp. 6-10

Thought to Ponder . . .
It's never too late to be what I might have been.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E A R T = Healing, Enjoying, And Recovering Together.

From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)


***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Always making a difference
by Ralph Marston

Zero in on what you do well, and do it often. Whatever it is you do that makes the biggest difference, ramp it up.

Don’t be timid, embarrassed, worried, lazy or arrogant about it. Just get busy and go make a positive contribution to life.

You live in a beautiful world, filled with endless possibilities. This world needs what you have to offer, and is begging for you to add your own unique value.

The fact is, you’re good at a lot of things. Have the courage to admit what you love, to put your efforts into what you do well, and to create something awesome from that dynamic, every day.

Pour yourself into the incomparable experience of doing what you do best, of making palpable progress, of knowing that what you do truly matters. Refuse to accept any discouragement or excuses, especially from yourself.

Revitalize every moment you enter by giving your best effort. Delight in knowing you’re always making a difference.

From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment