Thursday, February 25, 2016

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 2-25-2016

Thursday, February 25, 2016
Today's Gift

The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself. ~Anna Quindlen

Accepting Imperfection

"Why do I do this to myself?" asked a woman who wanted to lose weight. "I went to my support group feeling so guilty and ashamed because I ate half a cookie that wasn't on the diet. I found out that everyone cheats a little, and some people cheat a lot. I felt so ashamed before I came to the group, as though I were the only one not doing my diet perfectly. Now I know that I'm dieting as well as most, and better than some."

Why do we do this to ourselves? I'm not talking strictly about dieting, I'm talking about life. Why do we punish ourselves by thinking that we're inferior while believing that others are perfect - whether in relationships, work, or a specific task?

Whether we're judging others or ourselves it's two sides of the same coin: perfection. Neither expectation is valid.

I follow four dictates: face it, accept it, deal with it, then let it go. ~Sheng Yen

It is far more accurate and beneficial to tell ourselves that who we are is okay and what we are doing is good enough. That doesn't mean we won't make mistakes that need correcting; doesn't mean we won't get off track from time to time; doesn't mean we can't improve. It means with all our mistakes and wandering, we're basically on course. Encouraging and approving of ourselves is how we help ourselves stay on track.

Today, I will love and encourage myself. I will tell myself that what I'm doing is good enough, and I'll let myself enjoy that feeling.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©


From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

You need only claim the events of your life to make yourself yours. --Florida Scott-Maxwell
The search is on. Everyone, everywhere, asks the question at some time, "Who am I?" People like ourselves are fortunate to have this program. It shows us the way to self-discovery. It directs our steps to the celebration of self that is a gift of recovery. The events of our past may plague us. But they did contribute to the fullness we feel today. And for them, for their involvement in who we've become, we can be grateful.

Claiming ourselves, the good and the bad, is healing. It's taking responsibility--for where we were and where we're going. Claiming ourselves makes us the active participants in our lives. The choices are many and varied. Not actively participating in life is also a choice. Passivity may have been our dominant choice in years gone by. But now, today, we are choosing recovery. We are choosing action that is healing, and wholeness is the result.

Action for the Day: Today I will work on making myself mine, it will exhilarate me. It will give me hope. It will prepare me for anything to come. I will know a new joy.

From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

****************************
One Day At A Time

Traditions
The Twelve Traditions point straight at many of our individual defects.
By implication they ask each of us to lay aside pride and resentment. They ask for personal as well as group sacrifice.
They ask us never to use the AA name in any quest for personal power or distinction or money.
The Traditions guarantee the equality of all members and independence of all groups.
They show how we may best relate ourselves to each other and to the world outside.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Comes of Age, p. 96

Thought to Ponder . . .
The Steps help me live with me; the Traditions help me live with you.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E A R T = Healing, Enjoying, And Recovering Together.

From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)

***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Beyond dissatisfaction
by Ralph Marston

Things will begin to get better when you define precisely what better means to you. The pains and frustrations will start to ease when you have something solid and positive with which to replace them.

To successfully move away from an undesirable situation, decide exactly where you wish to go. Create a powerful intention for yourself, and feed that intention with the energy that’s in your desire for change.

It is not enough to complain about how things are. That can get the ball rolling, and yet it won’t take you very far.

Move quickly to create a vision of how the world can be. Give yourself a compelling goal to move toward.

Enthusiasm is a key ingredient of success. And you’ll always have a more productive kind of enthusiasm when you’re focused on a positive future.

Go beyond your dissatisfaction with what is, and put your energy into imagining the best of what can be. Clearly know where you wish to go, and you’ll naturally make the effort that gets you there.

From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment