Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Daily Motivation 12-12-2012

Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Today's Gift

If I am to be remembered, I hope it is for the honesty I try to demonstrate, the patience I try to live by, and the compassion I feel for others. —JoAnn Reed

Each of us hopes we are leaving a lasting, positive impression on those we befriend and maybe even those we encounter by chance. Having others speak well of us provides the strokes that are often necessary to our "keeping on" when difficulties surface. What we sometimes forget is that we are responsible for whatever lasting impression we leave.

Our behavior does influence what another person carries away from our mutual experience.

We may have left unfavorable impressions during our using days. On occasion, we do yet. However, it's progress, not perfection, we're after. And each day we begin anew, with a clear slate and fresh opportunities to spread good cheer, to treat others with love and respect, to face head-on and with full honesty all situations drawing our attention and participation.

As I look forward to the hours ahead, I will remember that I control my actions toward others. If I want to be remembered fondly, I must treat each person so.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Walk In Dry Places

Responsible attitudes.

Keep the Focus on Personal Responsibility
Alcoholics and addicts often try to shift responsibility to others. We once thought it was possible to blame others for our drinking and drugging, and we had sneaky ways of manipulating family members so they would feel guilty and comply with our demands.

In sober living, we must not allow ourselves to slip back into this mode of thinking. Keeping the focus on personal responsibility is our best way of approaching all problems. "What is my responsibility in this?" is a good question to ask in evaluating our part in situations.

We are always responsible for our own sobriety. Beyond that, we're also responsible for maintaining good attitudes and making sure that our own anger and pride do not make any situation worse than it already is.

Action for the Day: I'll be responsible today for my own thoughts, feelings, and actions. If any stressful issue or situation arises, I'll keep my focus on personal responsibility.

***********************
One Day At A Time

Judging Others
One unkind tirade or one willful snap judgment
can ruin our relation with another person for a whole day, or maybe a whole year.
Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 91

Thought to Ponder . . .
By what measure I judge others, I judge myself.
By what measure I forgive others, I forgive myself.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
P U T =
Patience, Understanding, Tolerance.

***********************
Daily Motivation

Always a way forward

When you have a difficult moment or a challenging day, remember this. The moment will pass and you will eventually work your way through the difficulty.

When trouble surrounds you, it can seem like there’s nothing else. And yet, there is always a way forward.

The problems can seem overwhelming because they are so close. Remind yourself, though, that you are bigger than any of the problems you face.

Take a step away from the situation, take a deep breath, and feel your power to make a difference. Then make the commitment to act in a positive and persistent way.

Don’t let trouble get the best of you. Let it make you stronger.

No difficulty can diminish the immense value of your life. Stay positive, because you have what it takes to make it through.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment