Thursday, October 18, 2012

Daily Motivation 10-18-2012

Thursday, October 18, 2012
Today's Gift

When I'm trusting and being myself as fully as possible, everything in my life reflects this by falling into place easily, often miraculously. - Author Unknown

Throwing Out the Rule Book

Many of us feel like we need a rulebook, a microscope, and a warranty to get through life. We feel uncertain, frightened. We want the security of knowing what's going to happen, and how we shall act.

We don't trust life or ourselves.

We don't trust the Plan.

We want to be in control.

"I've made terrible mistakes about my choices, mistakes that nearly destroyed me. Life has really shocked me. How can I trust myself? How can I trust life, and my instincts, after where I've been?" asked one woman.

It is understandable that we fear being crushed again, considering the way many of us were when we bottomed out on our codependency. We don't have to be fearful. We can trust our self, our path, and our instincts.

Yes, we want to avoid making the same mistakes again. We are not the same people we were yesterday or last year. We've learned, grown, changed. We did what we needed to do then. If we made a mistake, we cannot let that stop us from living and fully experiencing today.

We have arrived at the understanding that we needed our experiences - even our mistakes - to get to where we are today. Do we know that we needed our life to unfold exactly as it did to find ourselves, our Higher Power, and this new way of life? Or is part of us still calling our past a mistake?

We can let go of our past and trust ourselves now. We do not have to punish ourselves with our past. We don't need a rulebook, a microscope, a warranty. All we really need is a mirror. We can look into the mirror and say, "I trust you. No matter what happens, you can take care of yourself. And what happens will continue to be good, better than you think."

Today, I will stop clinging to the painful lessons of the past. I will open myself to the positive lessons today and tomorrow hold for me. I trust that I can and will take care of myself now. I trust that the Plan is good, even when I don't know what it is.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
To err is human, but when the eraser wears out ahead of the pencil, you’re overdoing it. --Josh Jenkins

It’s okay to make mistakes. But we shouldn’t live a life of excuses. We shouldn’t slide over our mistakes; we should learn from them.

Excuses keep us part from ourselves and others. People don’t trust us if we won’t admit and accept our mistakes. Relying on excuses dooms us to repeat the same mistakes.

In recovery, we admit and accept our behavior. We do this by continuing to take an inventory of our lives. We do this so we can learn from our mistakes. “Owning” our mistakes helps us grow.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me own my mistakes. Thank-you for Step Ten and the growth it holds for me.

Action for the Day: Today, I’ll list my five favorite excuses. I’ll think of the last time I used each of these. What was I trying to avoid.
 
***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Hope
Hope is the priceless ingredient for recovery.
This, AA gives, most frequently not in mere words.
Upon the alcoholic's first contact with AA, as he looks around the room
and sees men and women respectably clothed and in their right minds,
enjoying themselves, that flicker of hope begins to burn.
And he says to himself, "If these jokers can do it, I can."
The first need, beyond any other, is hope. Without it, there is nothing.
- The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1], pp. 156-157

Thought to Ponder . . .
Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O P E =
Heart Open; Please Enter.

***********************
Daily Motivation

Choose to make it

Don’t wait or wish for something to make it all better. Get busy improving and enhancing life in your own unique way.

Don’t depend on someone else to tell you what to do or how to do it. Find real enjoyment and fulfillment by working your own way through life’s possibilities.

This is your life and it is filled with great promise. Take responsibility for it, take the initiative and take it to the next level.

Don’t pin your hopes on outside factors over which you have no control. Instead, make life great by working diligently and passionately with whatever you have.

Experience life at its fullest by living it on your own terms. Work to solve the problems, work to reach your goals, and work to bring your dreams to life.

Life is precisely what you choose to make it. Choose to make it extraordinary.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment