Friday, July 6, 2012

Daily Motivation 7-6-2012

Friday, July 6, 2011
Today's Gift
 
"Procrastination is the fear of success. People procrastinate because they are afraid of the success that they know will result if they move ahead now. Because success is heavy, carries responsibility with it, it is much easier to procrastinate and live on the “someday I’ll” philosophy". ~Denis Waitley
 
Today I will let go of procrastination.
 
I will take a look at why I put off responsibilities and how I can change this behavior. Do I feel that I won't do certain tasks well enough or that they're too overwhelming? Do I set specific standards for myself and then fail because I've set them too high? Do I expect perfection from myself and then put off what I fear will be imperfect? As long as I accomplish my tasks to the best of my ability, I will succeed. I can jump in with both feet when necessary and feel proud that I at least started what I needed to do. Nothing can ever be completed without starting it first.
 
When I procrastinate, I will never get where I need to go, and eventually I will become overwhelmed and buried underneath all the things I refused to start.
 
"You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step." ~Martin Luther King Jr.
 
Today I will let go of the desire to put off what needs to be done now.
 
From the book Time to Fly Free by Judith R. Smith
 
 
********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Walk In Dry Places

Strong Desire
 
Willingness is the Key
Although willpower alone does not work in overcoming our dysfunctions, there is a place for the will, or willingness, in the search for a happy life. Things can happen if we are willing to let them happen. More important, progress often depends on our willingness to give up what stands in our way. It also requires our willingness to take the actions necessary for success.

This same willingness, so vital to finding sobriety, is also applicable in other areas of our lives. The pioneers of AA suggested that getting sober required being willing to go to any lengths. This is the key to other achievements and to the overcoming of problems besides alcohol and drugs.

We often have to put up with unpleasant conditions simply because we do not want to change them badly enough. For example, we may dislike the unpleasant coughing and risks of smoking, but lack the willingness to quit. We may brood over lost opportunities, but be unwilling to take advantage of the opportunities we have now.

The key to constructive change in our lives is willingness...... and that applies to other matters...............
 
Action for the Day: Today I'll try to be honest today about what I really want. I will remind myself that if I want something badly enough, willingness is the key to action and to success.
 
***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Awareness
Today I must be aware of my dysfunctions.
I cannot afford to believe that I have gained control of my drinking and drugging--
or again,...
Such a feeling of control is fatal to my recovery.
- Daily Reflections, p. 26

Thought to Ponder . . .
When we try to control our drinking or drugging, we have already lost control.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Always Aware.
 
***********************
Daily Motivation

Original

Look for what has not been seen before. Say what has not been said before.

Seek to experience life in new and original ways. Today is a new day, so fill it with new substance.

If you’re thinking the same thought over and over again, do something useful with that thought and then let it go. Make space for some real, original thoughts and experiences that are more than mere repeats.

Time always moves forward, so move forward with it. Use time to learn, to grow, to enjoy and achieve in ways you’ve never done before.

Pleasantly surprise yourself with how flexible and adaptable you can be. Delight yourself with new discoveries as the days and years unfold.

This day is a one-of-a-kind original, so live it in an original way. Life is renewed in every moment, and you can choose to be constantly fresh and renewed as well.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment