Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Daily Motivation 5-16-2012

Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Today's Gift

I stand before you as a tower of strength, the weight of the world on my shoulders. As you pass through my life, look, but not too close, for I fear I will expose the vulnerable me. --Deidra Sarault

Vulnerability is as much a part of being human as is strength. Our vulnerability prevents our strength from becoming hard, brittle, self-serving. Our soft edges invite others' openness and their expressions of love.

We learned long ago to be "strong." We were encouraged to need no help, to need nobody. Now, we struggle to ask for help. As we grow in understanding of our human needs, and as we become more aware of the spiritual help available, the difficulty of reaching out to others is eased.

No longer need we look to pills, booze, food, or lovers for strength. All the strength we'll ever need is as close as our thoughts. At this moment, we are a tower of strength, not one weighted with burdens.

Rather, our strength is a gift of our connection to a spiritual power that can free us from all the troubles we shoulder. Our vulnerable selves will open our souls to the flood of strength just waiting for our prayers.

I will be as strong as I need to be, when I tap the spiritual source that awaits my call. I will risk my vulnerable self today.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple

The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.---Sydney J. Harris
 
Relaxing is one of the little joys of life. We can learn to take time from our busy day to chat with a friend, take a hot bath, or spend a few moments sitting alone under a tree. The busier we are, the more we need to take time to relax.
 
When we rest, we stop fussing about the outside world. We find out how we're doing inside. While relaxing, we can best listen to our Higher Power. Our minds calm down. We put busy thoughts aside. Sometimes, we can almost hear our Higher Power say, "Stay quiet and listen! I have something to tell you!"
Action for the Day: Today I will time time to stop and listen.
 
**********************
One Day At A Time
 
That River in Egypt
...I have learned of a concept called denial.
No, it is not a river in Egypt.
It is an obstacle that I must stay aware of in order to maintain sobriety. . .
When I share openly and honestly
about what is really going on with me and my life
I am denying only one thing. I am denying denial itself.
When I can be honest and accurate about myself with another person
I deprive my denial of the very oxygen it needs to survive. . .
That's how it works for me.
- The AA Grapevine, May 1996

Thought to Ponder . . .
When I choose the behavior, I choose the consequences.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
D E N I A L =
Don't Even Notice It's A Lie.
 
*********************
Daily Motivation

Make reality your friend

Though limiting factors can be a burden, they can also give you a solid, predictable framework in which to operate. What might at first seem to be an obstacle could end up providing valuable support.

For example, the force of gravity makes it difficult to move a large, massive rock. Yet that same force will also ensure that the rock stays in place once you get it where you want it.

Playing by the rules and adhering to a strictly defined discipline makes achievement more difficult. Yet it also plays an essential role in making achievement possible.

No situation is inherently limiting. Because you have the ability to adjust and adapt and make positive use of whatever factors may be present.

A massive brick wall can stop you cold, or it can provide you with a solid foundation upon which to build. It all depends on what you choose to do with what you encounter.

Rather than judging something to be a limiting factor, do the work to make it an enabling factor. Make reality your friend by making positive use of it.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment