Monday, February 27, 2012

Daily Motivation 2-27-2012

Monday, February 27, 2012
Today's Gift

The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do. —Walter Bagehot

Everyone knew Jacob was a bitter old hermit who hated people. He lived by himself in a cabin in the woods. He never came to town, never talked to anyone, and never put up a mailbox or put in a phone. But he had one thing the townsfolk wanted -- the very first Bible brought by a preacher when the town was first settled. They wanted it for their centennial celebration.

Little Tom listened as the townsfolk complained daily about how much they wanted the old book to put on display. One day, he walked on out to the little cabin and just asked the old man if he could borrow the book, just for a week. Imagine the surprise on the faces of the people when the boy wandered back to town with the old dusty book in hand.

Are we like the townspeople sometimes? Do we assume things won't work out without even trying? Sometimes help is there, just waiting to be asked. What have we got to lose?

What can I request today that I have been afraid to ask for?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple
 
Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.---Willaim James

Step Two speaks of believing. For many years, we had given up believing in ourselves, in a Higher Power, and in others. We believed in getting high. Now our program tells us to believe in love. We are lovable, and we can love others without hurting them. Of course, believing is an important part of recovery.

To believe means to put aside our doubts. To believe means to have hope. Believing makes the road a little smoother. So, believing lets the healing happen a little faster. All of this is how we get ready to let in the care of our Higher Power.
Prayer for the Day: I pray for the courage to believe. I'll not let doubt into my heart. I can recover. I can give myself totally to this simple program.

Action for the Day: I'll list four times doubt got in my way. And I'll think of what I can do to not let that happen again.
 
***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Listening
I began to listen. Slowly but surely, some wisdom and humility began to creep in.
I became teachable. I found my Higher Power working all around me
where previously I was sure I had been alone.
When I opened my eyes enough to see the miracle,
I found that it was right in front of my face. I was growing in my Higher Power's love.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 430

Thought to Ponder . . .
Learn to listen; listen to learn.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Always Awesome.
********************
Daily Motivation

The power to do it

You can do it, when you have a good and meaningful reason. You can do it, if you commit to it and act on it and persist until the goal is reached.

You can start with what is, and make it into whatever you would like it to be. You can begin from where you are, and get to where you want to be.

Instead if idly letting the moments pass by, you can make full use of each one. Instead of complaining that you don’t know what to do, you can experiment with different approaches until you get it right.

You don’t ever have to settle for less than the very best from life. Because you can envision what you desire and you can work diligently to make it so.

Some would assume that the necessity of effort is a burdensome curse. Yet in reality it is one of life’s greatest blessings.

For it is the necessity of effort that enables you to dream your most treasured dreams, and then to make them real. You have the power to do it, and right here, right now, is when you can.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment