Friday, December 16, 2011

Daily Motivation 12-16-11

Friday, December 16, 2011
Today's Gift
 
Because you're not what I would have you be, I blind myself to who, in truth, you are. —Madeleine L'Engle

Sometimes we expect far too much of the people around us, and because no one can ever live up to those expectations, we are almost always disappointed. But wouldn't it be better if we just let go, and let people be who they are? Then we'd be able to see them as they are - with all their beauty and goodness in which we take joy, and with all their faults, which we can also see in ourselves.

When we have put someone up on a pedestal, sculpturing them to fit our needs and desires by smoothing out the rough edges and creating new curves here and there, we cannot see the real person underneath our work. All we see is the illusion we have created. That is denying the person's real identity and is disrespectful. It's much better for our friends and for ourselves if we drop our expectations and illusions, and accept them all just the way they are.

What unfair expectations do I have of others?
 
From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©
 
 

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

Charity sees the need, not the cause.--German proverb.

Charity is not just giving money to good causes. Charity is having a heart that's ready to give. Charity is helping a friend at two in the morning. Charity is going early to the meeting to put on coffee without being asked.

Service is how Twelve Step programs refer to "Charity". Service and charity are a lifestyle. We see a need, so we try to help. Our values and our heart will guide us in how we help. Service is a big part of our program. Service helps us think of others, not just of ourselves. We stop asking, "What's in it for me?" The act of helping others is what's in it for us. Sobriety is what's in it for us. Serenity is what's in it for us.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, You have given me many talents. Help me see how my talents can make the world a better place. Giving of myself is believing in You and myself.

Action for the Day: Today, I'll list my talents and I'll think of ways I can use them to help others.

***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Changed
In working the program, my life and my old way of thinking have changed.
I have no control over some of the things that happen in my life,
but with the help of my Higher Power I can now choose how I will respond.
Today I choose to be happy and when I'm not,
I have the tools of the program to put me back on track.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 381

Thought to Ponder . . .
My life hereafter is from this moment on.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Always Awesome.
 
********************
Daily Motivation

A chance to improve

Don’t see it as a problem. See it as a chance to improve.

You can always learn from where you are, whether it is where you want to be or not. You can always learn from what you attempt, whether it brings the results you intended or not.

Don’t spend a lot of time regretting your mistakes. Instead, transform those mistakes into improvements.

Little by little, day by day, you can constantly make improvements in your life. Very quickly, those improvements add up to create great new value in your world.

When things are going well, be thankful, and harness the energy of your gratitude to make improvements. When times are tough, use the energy of your frustration as a catalyst for making positive improvements.

Gratefully accept what is, and then look for ways to improve it. Keep reaching higher, and you’ll continue moving higher.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment