Monday, November 21, 2011

Daily Motivation 11-21-11

Monday, November 21, 2011
Today's Gift
 
Slow motion gets you there faster. --Hoagy Carmichael
 
"One of the hardest lessons for me to learn is patience," admitted a fellow. "I've been in a race all my life. I suppose I could compare myself to the hare in the fable of ‘The Tortoise and the Hare.' I jump into things, rush at them, and never seem to cross the finish line. I get side-tracked by other things that seem to need immediate attention. I never have a sense of peace. Everything has to be done by yesterday.
 
"I was even in a hurry in my marriage - which is one reason I'm divorced now. I wanted my wife to race with me. I wanted her to be perfect overnight. I nagged at her constantly. I was too impatient to let her grow at her own speed. Because I couldn't slow down, I couldn't allow her to be at peace either.
 
"I thought I was doing all the changing and growing. When, in reality, all I was doing was bombarding my problems and projects with a lot of momentum and very little common sense."
 
Today I will slow down. I only increase my difficulties when I try to solve them in a hurry.
 
From the book  The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes:
 

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

To love others, we must first learn to love ourselves.---Anonymous
Sometimes we think our life would be fine if that dream person showed up. But loving someone isn’t easy. Our bad habits cause problems. We have to change. Sometimes we aren’t ready to have on especial person. We have to have a group of people---our recovery group---to love and help us get healthy. We must learn to trust, to be honest, to give help, and to love others. The truth is, no one person can make our life wonderful---except us. We hold happiness inside of us. It’s in our spirit. Look no further.
 
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me love myself

Action for the Day: I’ll list five ways I will love myself today.
 
***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Merry-go-round
I began to feel like a clown juggling too many balls.
Each ball represented a problem I was keeping up in the air.
My arms were weary and I knew I couldn't keep on much longer,
but I was not about to give up. My pride and ego wouldn't let me.
Bosses, judges, co-workers, lawyers, car notes, bar tabs, loan sharks,
utility payments, landlords, my girlfriend, people I had double-crossed --
I looked to all these as the source of my problems, while overlooking
the most basic problem: my drinking and myself.
I'd known for a long time that I desperately wanted off this merry-go-round,
but I had no idea how to do it.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 506

Thought to Ponder . . .
Swallowing my pride will not get me drunk.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
P R I D E =
Personal Recovery Involves Deflating Ego.
 
********************
Daily Motivation

Success is a way of life

Success is not a secret. Success is a direction, a process, and a way of life.

Success is not merely something that you get. Success is all about the way you choose to live.

You can be successful right now. Simply turn your focus, your awareness, your thoughts and actions in a positive, meaningful direction.

Success is the journey, and not merely the end of the road. Every moment is your opportunity to live the success you seek.

Dream without limits, and act on those dreams. Live without excuses or apologies, and with a persistent, driving desire to make a difference.

Success is a way of life. Choose that way right now, and in every moment of every day.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment