Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Daily Motivation 9-13-11

Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Today's Gift

Love, a thousand, thousand voices,
From night to dawn,
from dawn to night,
Have cried the passion
of their choices
To orb your name and keep it bright.
—William Rose Benet


We are each in the midst of unique lives, and our choices are based on our own experiences, so it's only natural that they all be different. One of us may choose to go to jail for protesting nuclear weapons; another may choose to pray for peace. Both are working for the same goal.

It is a sign of our love to respect others' right to choose for themselves, even to make choices we may not agree with. Perhaps a brother or sister likes music we hate, or a son or daughter wants to wear an unusual style of clothing. How often do we, in the name of love, try to force our choices on others? When we give the gift of letting loved ones choose what is right for them, it strengthens our ability to choose what is right for us.

Whose choices can I honor today, even if I disagree?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple

People seldom improve when they have no model but themselves to copy.---Oliver Goldsmith
If we had to get well by ourselves, we’d be in trouble. We’ve already tried this route.
We need to learn a new way to live, not the old way we already know.
That’s why we have sponsors in Twelve Step programs. Sponsors are one of the best
things about our recovery. We pick people who are happy and doing well in recovery.
Then we copy them. We copy them because sponsors are special people who have
what we want. They have sobriety. They have happiness. They have common sense.
They have peace and serenity. And they will help us get those things too. We learn
a new way to live from them.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me pick good models. Help me copy what works for them.
 
Action for the Day: If I don’t have a sponsor now, I’ll work today on getting one.
 
***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Powerless
I've learned that I do not have the power and control I once thought I had. . .
But I've also learned I am not powerless over some things.
I am not powerless over my attitudes. I am not powerless over negativity.
I am not powerless over assuming responsibility for my own recovery.
I have the power to exert a positive influence on myself, my loved ones,
and the world in which I live.
- Daily Reflections, p. 11

Thought to Ponder . . .
The power within me is far greater than any fear before me.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
P A C E =
Positive Attitudes Change Everything.
 
********************
Daily Motivation

Keep your standards high

Hold yourself to a high standard. To raise the quality of your reality, raise your expectations.

Refuse to listen to your own excuses. Demand integrity, commitment and persistence from yourself in all your undertakings.

Keep yourself lovingly and gratefully focused on whatever is truly important to you. Let go of any urge to be cynical, and allow your most meaningful dreams to flourish within your awareness.

Get in the habit of finding and expanding what’s best, in yourself, in others, and in each situation. Learn to see the value in moments large and small, and act to make positive use of that value.

Resist the temptation to shortchange yourself or others, or to settle for anything less than your very best. This is your unique and precious life, so give it all the respect and effort it is due.

Fill each day with richness and excellence, competence and solid, honest commitment. Keep your standards high, and seek to live such that you’ll never have any regrets.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment