Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Daily Motivations 8-17-11

Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Today's Gift

Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it as it is, is the only way of being happy. —Jennie Jerome Churchill

We are generally so certain that we know what's best for ourselves. And we are just as often certain that what we think is best will guarantee happiness. Perhaps we should reflect on all the times in the past when our wishes didn't come true - fortunately.

Did any one of us expect to be doing today, what we each are doing? We may have expected children, a particular kind of home, a certain career, but did we really anticipate all that life has wrought? Addiction, and then recovery from it, was probably not in our pictures. But it does fit into the big picture. The happiness we experience today probably doesn't visit us in the way we anticipated a few years back. But it is measured out according to our needs. The choice to be happy with what is, is ours to make, every moment.

I can take life as it is, and trust that it is just right, just what it needs to be. The big picture guarantees me lasting happiness. Today's experiences will move me a step closer.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey©


*****************************
Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Keep It Simple

Words that do not match deeds are not important.---Ernesto Ch'e Guevara
What we do can be much more important than what we say. We tend to talk about things we want to do. We need to also be people who do things we talk about. We are not spiritual people unless our actions are spiritual.


Many of us used to be "all or nothing" people. That made us afraid to take the big projects. But now we can get things done, if we take one step at a time. We're not "all or nothing" people anymore. We're people who are changing and growing a little every day. And each day our deeds match our words a little better.
 
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me live fully today. Help me not to talk to much about what I want to do. Give me the gift of patience, so I can be pleased with my progress.

Action for the Day: Today, I'll list the things that I say I'd like to do. What is one thing I can do today to make each of them happen? I'll take one step today to match my life to my dreams.
 

***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Threads

That sense of being different, which had long plagued me,
disappeared when I saw the threads that run through all of us.
Sharing our stories, our feelings,
it is the areas where we are the same that impress me.
The differences are but delightful flourishes on the surface,
like different-colored costumes, and I enjoy them. But the basic ways
we are human, the basic ways we simply are, stand out to me now.
I came to see that we are all really one, and I no longer feel alone.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 347

Thought to Ponder . . .
I'm not alone anymore.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
Y A N A =
You Are Not Alone.
 
************************
Daily Motivation

Make it be

Don’t allow the troubles to get the best of you. Instead, allow those troubles to make the best of you.

Don’t tire yourself out fighting against the challenges. Instead, find new energy by embracing those challenges and working through them to create real value.

Always remind yourself that discouragement is nothing more than a response you’ve chosen. When you find that you’ve chosen to let it be, you can just as surely choose to let it go.

In the place of discouragement, you can put determination. It is your life’s energy, and you can point it in whatever direction you choose.

Your most powerful response is not based only on what has already happened. Your most powerful response also takes into account what you wish to make happen next.

Look forward, and envision in great detail the future you desire. Then gather all your energy, and step forward to make it be.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment