Friday, May 6, 2011

Daily Motivation 5-6-11

Friday, May 6, 2011
Today's Gift
 
Today I accept the fact that I have made mistakes.

I find comfort in knowing that, in the past, I did what I thought was right at the time. What makes my mistakes seem so bad is that I judge them by what I know today. I know more than I did then, and less than I will tomorrow.

I trust that, in the future, I will not make the same mistakes. I have more information now, and I will be able to handle things differently and make wiser choices. I accept myself for who I was then and for who I am today.

You are reading from the book:

Time to Break Free by Judith R. Smith

*******************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Walk in Dry Places

Challenges
 
Dealing with Fear
Some of us suffer from a free-floating anxiety that is like a general fear, while others have specific fears that cause distress. Sometimes the specific fears are easier to face, because they can at least be identified. Most of us dread that other kind--- a sort of general apprehension that things are not well or that something very bad is about to happen.
 
It's reasonable to have some fear when facing trouble or risk. It's unreasonable, however, to let fear keep us from acting in our own best interests. A review of the past may show that may of us did that while drinking-- and brought even more calamities upon ourselves.

Whatever the fear, the answer is always the same. We must apply our principles to the problem, take a reasonable action and then place the outcome in our Higher Power's hands. No person can do more than this. This will not bring permanent victory over fear. It will however, give us confidence in the program as a tool for dealing with fears that arise in the future.
 
Action for the Day: I may have to deal with fear today, but I will accept it as part of the human condition. I know that I have great spiritual resources to deal with any fear that might arise, and this gives me confidence and reassurance.
 
***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Entanglements
Tying our sobriety to someone we are emotionally involved with
proves flatly disastrous. "I'll stay sober if so-and-so does this or that"
puts an unhealthy condition on our recovery. We have to stay sober for ourselves,
no matter what other people do or fail to do.
We should remember, too, that intense dislike also is an emotional entanglement,
often a reversal of past love.
We need to cool any overboard feeling, lest it flip us back into the drink.
- Living Sober, p. 62

Thought to Ponder . . .
No one is going to mess up my day.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
R E L A T I O N S H I P =
R
eally Exciting Love Affair Turns Into Outrageous Nightmare;
Sobriety Hangs In Peril.

 

********************
Daily Motivation
 
You are connected

When you look out at the world, a little bit of what you see is the world. Much of what you see, however, is you.

No experience is completely objective. Most experiences are hardly objective at all.

If you’re having a bad day, that’s an opportunity to change your perceptions. Choose to do so, and the whole world can suddenly be a much more positive place.

Instead of projecting your worst fears onto life, project your highest hopes and most treasured dreams. See what things look like then.

You are connected to all you observe and experience. Make a positive difference in you, and you make a positive difference in it all.

 

-Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment