Thursday, May 5, 2011

Daily Motivation 5-5-11

Thursday, May 5, 2011
Today's Gift

Living itself, [is] a task of such immediacy, variety, beauty, and excitement that one is powerless to resist its wild embrace. —E. B. White

Our First Step in this program introduces us to a radical idea - that accepting our powerlessness is beneficial. Yielding to life's embrace takes us in wonderful directions. The experience of meeting this still unformed day, defining how we will live today, making contact with our Higher Power, accepting the variety and the beauty that is here for us - far exceeds our individual power. Yet in surrendering to life as it unfolds, we find ourselves on an adventure. This is like reading a good story or unraveling an exciting mystery.

Anyone, whether he has our affliction or not, who tries to take control of what cannot be controlled, brings trouble to himself. Today let us engage with life.

I will accept both the embrace and the insecurity of not being in charge.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men©

*******************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Keep It Simple

Forgiveness is all-powerful. Forgiveness heals all ills.---Catherine Ponder
We need to forgive so we can heal. Forgiveness means not wanting to get even. Forgiveness means letting go of self-will. Anger and hate are forms of self-will take up room in our heart. Yet, a still, small voice inside of us wants to forgive. Just as others have forgiven us, we need to forgive them. When we forgive, we give our will to our Higher Power. When we forgive, we make room in our heart for our Higher Power. By giving up our anger and our hate, we let that still, small voice come through a little louder. This is how we heal. This is why forgiving is so powerful for us.
 
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me let go of self-will. Help me forgive people.

 
Action for the Day: I will list any anger or hate I have. I will think about how this gets in my way, and I'll pray to have this removed.
 

***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Evaluation
I am not as given to arrogance as I once was,
because I am slowly accepting myself, liabilities and all.
I even think I might have a few assets.
AA taught me that it was safe to evaluate myself.
Ten thousand thanks and a golden coffee mug
to those who have listened to me so long and helped me find out about myself.
- AA Grapevine, May 2011, p. 29

Thought to Ponder . . .
Pride without gratitude is arrogance.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Attitude Adjustment.
 

************************

Daily Motivation

Series of miracles

Today is nothing less than a miracle. Your life is even more of a miracle.

Feeling the warm sun on your face seems like such a simple thing. And yet that simple little experience is made possible by unimaginably complex and profound factors, all coming together in a single moment.

And then, when one amazing moment is finished, another has just begun. Even the most seemingly ordinary life is a series of magnificent miracles, each one following quickly after the one before.

It is all too easy to take it all for granted. And just the fact that you can take it for granted is itself an amazing thing.

You can never fully appreciate all that goes into the wonder in which you’re immersed. And because of that, there is no limit to how much you can treasure it all.

Even when you are continually thankful, there is always more for which to be thankful. Even when you know you have it good, you don’t ever fully know how good you have it.

Celebrate the miracles that come in every moment within the overall miracle that is your life. And as each moment falls away, there is another one for you to celebrate.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment