Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Daily Motivation 4-19-11

Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Today's Gift

Accepting Change - The winds of change blow through our life, sometimes gently, sometimes like a tropical storm. Yes, we have resting places - time to adjust to another level of living, time to get our balance, time to enjoy the rewards. We have time to catch our breath.

But change is inevitable and desirable.

Sometimes, when the winds of change begin to rustle, we're not certain the change is for the better. We may call it stress or a temporary condition, certain we'll be restored to normal. Sometimes, we resist. We tuck our head down and buck the wind, hoping that things will quickly calm down, get back to the way things were. Is it possible we're being prepared for a new normal?

Change will sweep through our life, as needed, to take us where we're going. We can trust that our Higher Power has a plan in mind, even when we don't know where the changes are leading.

We can trust that the change-taking place is good. The wind will take us where we need to go.

Today, help me, God, to let go of my resistance to change. Help me be open to the process. Help me believe that the place I'll be dropped off will be better than the place where I was picked up. Help me surrender, trust, and accept, even if I don't understand.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple

We give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way. Sacred ritual chant.
 
Good things keep happening to us. We are sober. We can think clearly. We can see progress on how we handle our problems. We have friends. We have love. We have hope.

We are starting to feel joy. Our fears are getting smaller. We are starting to trust our new way of life. Our new life brings good things to us. It brings blessings every day. We are beginning to expect them. But we’re still surprised at how good life can be. What a difference from the days before we entered our program!
 
Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, thank-you for the blessings You keep on giving. And thanks for whatever today will bring.

Action for the Day: One way to give thanks for my blessings is to share them with others. How can I share my recovery today?
 

***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Secrets
I knew I had to stop lying.
So I started sharing in meetings that I was still smoking grass.
My confession didn't elicit many bravos for honesty. . .
I especially hated hearing that I couldn't be high and sober at the same time.
I didn't understand it; to me being sober meant not being drunk.
But I was terrified of drinking again. So I finally buckled under the pressure,
and tried another ninety days without mood-changers at all.
The rewards were virtually immediate. . .
I finally surrendered and brought my disease and my secret into the rooms of AA
because I wanted to be sober.
- The Best of the Grapevine, [Vol. 2], pp. 29-30

Thought to Ponder . . .
I am as sick as my secrets.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
C L E A N =
Completely Leaving Every Addiction Now.

********************
Daily Motivation

Much to do

What makes you weary is not what you have done. What makes you feel weary is the thought that there is so much more you have to do.

What if you were to look at it in a different way, though? What if, instead of letting your commitments and responsibilities make you feel weary, you could choose for them to make you feel empowered?

Remind yourself that every action you must take enables you to make your mark on the world. Each of those commitments and responsibilities represents an opportunity for you to make a difference.

Consider how empty and meaningless life would be if there were no one counting on you to get things done. Precisely because there is much you must do, there are many powerful ways you can have a positive influence on your world.

Instead of resenting or disparaging what you must do, find a way to connect it to what you most passionately value. Instead of falling into a feeling of weariness, choose to feel the immensity of your opportunity with eager enthusiasm.

There is much you have to do, and that’s great. For within it all is a life that’s rich in meaning, fulfillment and joy.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment