Monday, April 18, 2011

Daily Motivation 4-18-11

Monday, April 18, 2011
Today's Gift
 

Resolve to be thyself; and know that who finds himself, loses his misery.
--Matthew Arnold


Our need for approval compels us to try to look good - no matter what's going on. We imagine that somehow everything will be okay as long as it looks okay. Our hearts may be breaking from fear, disillusionment, and rejection, real or imagined, but we keep smiling so that no one will guess. Why do we do this to ourselves? Is it so hard to turn to a friend and say, "Hey, I'm hurting. I've been having a bad time and I need help"? Would the earth tremble if we said it right out, just like that?

We're not likely to get what we don't ask for. Instead of denying that our knees are shaking, our hands are sweating, and our stomachs are in torment, we can admit and share the truth. We don't have to say "Fine!" when someone in the program asks us how we're doing. Our real friends aren't impressed by stiff upper lips; they're impressed by personal honesty.

Today, I will tell someone the truth about how I feel. If I'm not fine I won't say that I am.

You are reading from the book:

Days of Healing, Days of Joy by Earnie Larsen and Carol Larsen Hegarty

 

***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

Patience is needed with everyone, but first of all with ourselves. ---St. Francis de Sales

How do you treat yourself? Do you talk to yourself in a kind and loving voice? We can’t be kind and loving to others until we learn to be kind and loving with ourselves. To live this way, we must give ourselves the gift of patience.


Let’s practice patience with ourselves daily. Practice talking to yourself in a kind, loving voice. Your voice will be that of a loving parent who helps a child with a new task. Your Higher Power is willing to be patient with you. Give yourself the same gift.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, I pray that I’ll treat myself and others with the same loving patience You’ve shown me.

Action for the Day: I will listen to how I talk to myself. I will practice talking to myself with a kind, loving, and patient voice.

***********************

One Day At A Time
 

Listening
Sometimes, the body can speak an eloquent language all its own.
I see and feel that at meetings. So coming to regular meetings of AA
is a priceless experience for me on a great many levels --
mental, spiritual, social, emotional, and now possibly physical.
Listening quietly is already a joy to me, and if it calms me down
and lowers my blood pressure in the process,
that's just another reason to keep coming back.
- Thank You For Sharing, p. 13

Thought to Ponder . . .
Learn to listen; listen to learn.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
K C B =
Keep Coming Back.


********************
Daily Motivation


When the magic begins

You’re only a moment away from being more positive and effective than you’ve ever been. You’re only a moment away from living life at its highest level.

The only thing holding you back is your choice to keep yourself back. That’s a choice you can change right now.

You’ve gone long enough evading and avoiding your best possibilities. Now it’s time to accept that you’re absolutely worthy of the rich, fulfilling life you truly desire.

That life can begin to be yours right now. That life can start the moment you decide to stop hiding from the unique beauty of who you truly are.

Yes, it will take effort, determination, faith, commitment and discipline. And every moment of it will be infused with the irreplaceable joy of knowing you’re being true to your own highest destiny.

Go ahead, from where you are, with what you have, and choose to be an active participant in the unfolding of your best possibilities. This is your life, this is your day, and this is when the magic begins.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment