Monday, February 21, 2011

Daily Motivation 2-21-11

Monday, February 21, 2011
Today's Gift
 
The present moment is all we have. Yes, we have plans and goals, a vision for tomorrow. But now is the only time we possess. And it is enough. --Melody Beattie

We can clear our mind of the residue of yesterday. We can clear our mind of fears of tomorrow. We can be present, now. We can make ourselves available to this moment, this day. It is by being fully present now that we reach the fullness of tomorrow.

Have no fear, child, a voice whispers. Have no regrets. Relinquish your resentments. Let Me take your pain. All you have is the present moment. Be still. Be here Trust.

All you have is now. It is enough.

Today, I will affirm that all is well around me, when all is well within.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©

***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Walk In Dry Places
 
Unexpected Disappointments____Acceptance.
As life unfolds, we sometimes get unexpected disappointments that seem undeserved -- the car breaks down, a business deal goes sour, or a close friend betrays us. As alcoholics, most of us don't handle such things too well.  "Why me, Lord?" we often respond.
 
Our best approach is simply to view life as a mixture of bitter and sweet, knowing that we've been given real mastery over conditions. We cannot always be sure that a disappointment really is as bad as it seems to be, and sometimes it can become a step toward our good.  As one alcoholic phrased it, "some of the worst things that have happened turned out to be the best."

It's good to face the day with optimism, with confidence, and even with some excitement about the opportunities ahead. If we're maintaining sober thinking, everything that happens today will be transformed into gains for tomorrow -- all our tomorrows. We're on a spiritual journey that goes far beyond anything we're doing here and now.
 
Action for the Day: I won't expect to be disappointed today, but I'll know that nothing can really upset or disturb me without my permission.
 



***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Red Flags
It can still occur to me what a good drink tastes like and what it can do for me,
from my stand-at-attention alcoholic taste buds to my stretched out tingling toes.
As my sponsor used to point out, such thoughts are like red flags,
telling me that something is not right, that I am stretched beyond my sober limit.
It's time to get back to basic AA and see what needs changing.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 397

Thought to Ponder . . .
When I drink, my past becomes my future.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
K C B =
Keep Coming Back.





******************** 
Daily Motivation

 
One small effort
 
You're only a moment away from making real progress. One small effort can get you started.
 
It's nice and comfortable to stay where you are, without taking action, without making progress. Yet after a while that comfort turns into stagnation, and you'll feel painful regret for not moving forward.

Now, however, you have the opportunity to avoid that regret. Now, you have the chance to make valuable use of this very moment.

It really doesn't take much to get started, and the payoff can be enormous. Once you make that first small effort, the next one comes more easily, and the one after that even more easily.

Soon, you'll have real, solid momentum. And before long, you'll have a real, valuable achievement.

Life is yours right now to live. Start with one small effort, and fulfill your greatest possibilities.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment