Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Daily Motivations 1-12-11

Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Today's Gift

Finding Balance

The goal of recovery is balance - that precious middle ground.

Many of us have gone from one extreme to another: years of taking care of everyone but ourselves, followed by a time of refusing to focus on anyone's needs but our own.

We may have spent years refusing to identify, feel, and deal with our feelings, followed by a period of absolute obsession with every trace of emotional energy that passes through our body.

We may succumb to powerlessness, helplessness, and victimization, then we swing to the other extreme by aggressively wielding power over those around us.

We can learn to give to others while taking responsibility for ourselves. We can learn to take care of our feelings, as well as our physical, mental, and spiritual needs. We can nurture the quiet confidence of owning our power as equals in our relationships with others.

The goal of recovery is balance, but sometimes we get there by going to extremes.

Today, I will be gentle with myself, understanding that sometimes to reach the middle ground of balance, I need to explore the peaks and valleys. Sometimes, the only way I can extricate myself from a valley is to jump high enough to land on a peak, and then slowly ease myself down.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©

 
*****************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day

Keep It Simple

The junkie can never start to cure himself until he recognizes his true condition.----Malcoln X

Now we know what the problem is. Now we can do something about it. The truth of our problem is, we can't handle alcohol or other drugs. They handle us. They control us. The Steps ask us to face the truth.

And the truth sets us free. What a wonderful gift! We feared the truth, but now it's our friend. It's a relief.

Facing the truth means we're honest. And honestly is our best friend in recovery. It's like a cozy fire on a winter's night. Honesty is how we get well. It's also what will keep us well. Do I truly believe I can't use alcohol or other drugs?

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me know that I must work this program with care and respect.

Action for the Day: Today, I'll make two list, On one list, I'll write ways I work on my program. On the other list, I'll write way I play with my program. And I'll put my energy into working the program.


*************************
One Day At A Time
 
It Works
I am responsible. When anyone, anywhere reaches out for help,
I want the hand of AA always to be there.
And for that: I am responsible.
- AA Grapevine, Responsibility Declaration.

Thought to Ponder . . .
Sobriety is the adventure of a lifetime.
And it begins the moment we ask AA for help.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O P E =
Helping Other People Every day.


************************

Daily Motivation

Where you belong

Put yourself where you belong. Go with what you know is right for you.

Whatever you most love to do is what you will do best. Places where you love to be, and people you love to be around, will bring out your highest level of effectiveness.

Put yourself in those places and get yourself around those people as much as you can. Be where you belong and you'll be your very best.

When something feels right, that means it is right for you. Pay attention to your authentic feelings, and follow where they lead.

It's not frivolous or selfish to do what you love. When you're doing what you love, you're able to give the best of who you are.

Be the way you want to be, feel the way you like to feel and do the things you wish to do. Get yourself where you truly belong, and live your own special greatness.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment