Monday, December 13, 2010

Daily Motivation 12-13-10

Monday, December 13, 2010
Today's Gift
 
Worry and Stress

"I'm learning it's what I do with my today that counts," said one group member. "I can make this a day to remember or a day to regret just by the kinds of thoughts I have about it.

"Let me explain what happened to make me realize this," he continued. "Two days ago, I woke up grumbling about my sorry lot in life. My divorce, my bills, and a recent argument with a close friend haunted me. Throughout the whole day I nursed my woes and convinced myself that this was just another rotten day. And do you know what? That's exactly what it turned out to be! Nothing went right. I even had a second argument with another friend who called to cheer me up.

"Yesterday, I overheard someone say that a person is made or unmade by what he thinks. I thought about this for a while and decided to try it out today. Instead of greeting the day with my usual, 'Good God, morning!' I consciously said, 'Good morning, God!' with the expectation that it would be a good day. And that's what it's been. I even called my two friends to apologize for my previous terrible mood, and I had a warm and friendly conversation with them both!"

TODAY I will lift up my thoughts. In expecting nothing but good to come to me, that is exactly what I will receive.

You are reading from the book:

The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes

***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
Walk In Dry Places
 
Optimistic Thinking
 

Visualizing Success
Some people insist that we must visualize ourselves enjoying success if we ever hope to achieve it. AA says virtually the same about sobriety; in fact, "A Vision for You" is the name of a chapter in Alcoholics Anonymous.


There is a lot of talk in AA about projecting into the future and "seeing the worst." It takes far less energy.... and it's far more constructive..... to see ourselves doing our best, in sobriety and in all things.
We have rich imaginative powers. Quite often, we used gifts wrongly when we were drinking... we would create dark pictures of our future troubles, particularly in the depressed periods between drinking bouts. In AA., we learn to use those same powers to see ourselves enjoying happy sobriety as well as a secure place in the world.

Action for the Day: I'm confident that I'm growing in sobriety and building healthy relationships in all of my activities.
 
***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Challenges
Life is meant to be lived by facing the challenges it brings.
Otherwise, I'm not living, just existing.
My Higher Power didn't give me this gift of sobriety to sit in a rocking chair,
imagining myself as some wise old woman who has arrived somewhere.
There is no easier, softer way.
- The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 3], p. 320

Thought to Ponder . . .
What I am is my Higher Power's gift to me.
What I make of myself is my gift to Him.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A R T =
Always Remain Teachable
 
******************** 
Daily Motivation
 
Times of great consequence
 
Is there something that has you troubled, concerned or discouraged? That very same situation can just as realistically cause you to be hopeful and encouraged and positively successful.

The future has not happened yet, and the way it will unfold is completely open. Where there is the possibility for defeat and failure there is also the possibility for success and improvement.
 
Where much is at risk of being lost, there is much that can be gained. Times of great consequence are times of great opportunity.
 
Just imagine what would happen if you could turn your perspective around. Just imagine it, and know that's precisely what you can do.
 
You can make the decision to create the most positive outcome. You can make the commitment to focus the energy of the situation in a creative and productive direction.
 
Instead of turning your eyes away from the difficulty, open your eyes to the powerful opportunity. Choose to envision your own best outcome, then choose to do whatever is necessary to make it happen.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment