Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Daily Motivations 11-3-10

Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Today's Gift
 
All things pass... Patience attains all that it strives for.
-- St. Teresa of Avila

Some days, it seems like our struggles will never end. The pain, the loss, the heartaches, the failures we can recount them all. Where is the strength to go on?

What if we began our day by acknowledging that all things pass? That given time, effort, and patience, we can accept or accomplish most anything? But patience does not mean complacency. On the contrary, each day in recovery requires a new attitude, a new outlook that in time generates its own positive energy for growth and change.

We need strength and patience not only in the difficult moments, but in the easier ones - the days of comfort when things seem to be going almost too well.

Soon, we can look back across the months and see growth. As the skills of the dancer or the carpenter increase with time and patience, so do our skills in recovery. As we grow in recovery, becoming ever more patient, we become ever more in tune with our Higher Power and the promise of a new life.

Today grant me the patience to live in the moment. Help me be willing to believe that all things pass and I can live better in sobriety.

You are reading from the book:

Body, Mind, and Spirit by Anonymous


*****************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Each day comes bearing its gifts. Untie the ribbons. -Ruth Ann Schabacker


How full life can be! We can untie the ribbons on this gift by keeping our spirits open.
Open to life. Open to how much our Higher Power love us.
Who knows what the gifts the day may bring? Maybe it brings a solution to a problem. Maybe it brings the smile of a child. Maybe we’ll find a new friend. Whatever gifts the day brings, we must be able to receive them.
 
How do we do this? We keep our spirit open and lively through prayer and meditation. Then we’ll be awake to see the beauty and the wonders life holds for us.
 
Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, remind me to pray to You often. Remind me to stop and listen to You. Remind me that You love me very much.
 
Action for the Day:  At the end of the day, I’ll take time to list the gifts I’ve been given today. This will be first on my list: I am sober.
 
 
************************

One Day At A Time
 
Coping with Unemployment
~ Scroll down for share ~
 

Unemployed and a statistic! I wasn't alone.
Lots of AA's had gone through this sober. They came forward to offer support.
I stood in the unemployment line for three hours.
I increased my work with others and stayed close to newcomers.
A new moral inventory revealed a lot of resentments and problems over work.
Was being fired an answer to my prayers?
Be careful what you pray for -- you might get it.
- The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1], p. 57

Thought to Ponder . . .
"Failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H I T =
Hang In There.

A MEMBER SHARES:
Hi all I'm Deborah, an alcoholic. I've had time to think a lot about my last employment since I was terminated along with 11 other employees. Needless to say I was at the height of my drinking, and the sudden realization that I walked into work with a job and I left 2 hours later without one hit me hard. So my excuse for abusing myself with alcohol got a whole lot easier. I have had time to think about my performance the last year I was with this company. Yes, I worked hard. I was dedicated, but inside I was melting away. I realize now how much better I would have been if I had gotten into AA. But at that time I could not admit that I was sick with this disease, no matter how awful I felt or guilty for spending so much money on booze. I sometimes wonder if anyone knew -- I doubt it -- I thought I hid it well. However, I paid the price. I hated myself. And somehow when you hate yourself, you project that in some way, and I'm sure I did. All I can say is that now I'm sober, I want to go to work with my head held high. I want to be the best I can be and help those around me. I hope if there are any employers who have employees in trouble that they will try to get their employee help. But we first have to help ourselves and with the program of AA and its membership we are here to help each other. Thanks for letting me share.
 

*********************
Daily Motivation
 
Now is enough
 
Some people always have enough, and other people never have enough. The difference isn't in what they possess, but in what they need.
 
There are people with warehouses full of possessions who still don't have enough. And there are people with almost no possessions who have plenty.
 
When you have a strong sense of need, it gnaws at you constantly and pulls you down. That's much different than being confident in having enough and enjoying the peaceful power it brings.
 
Yes, there are desires you have that are not yet fulfilled. But do not give up control of your fulfillment by diminishing those desires into needs.
 
Instead of needing what you desire, treasure the desire itself and the opportunity to fulfill that desire. Allow yourself the powerful confidence that comes from having enough, and from that confidence will come even more.
 
Whatever you have now is enough for now. Joyfully, thankfully, peacefully accept the wholeness and completeness of your present abundance.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment