Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Daily Motivations 11-10-10

Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Today's Gift
 
Hurts do heal.

Time has a wonderful way of erasing bad feelings and leaving us with good ones. Our memories are selective, and fortunately, the pleasant ones seem to have more staying power. Whatever has been real and meaningful for us tends to remain with us - the rest gradually fades away. We can assist this selective process of memory by consciously letting go of the thoughts and feelings that disturb our serenity.

You might imagine yourself making a package out of a disappointment, your hostility, some hurt feelings, or whatever is hampering your spirit. Wrap the package tightly and ship it off to a Higher Power. Send it airmail, if you like.

Refusing to dwell on our wounds allows them to heal more quickly. In our program, there is no place for self-pity. The reprieve we have from our eating disorder is a daily one, and it depends on our spiritual condition. Gratitude for all the good fortune that comes our way keeps us healthy.

I will remember that what hurts today will pass in time. I can speed its departure by refusing to indulge in self-pity

You are reading from the book:

Inner Harvest by Elisabeth L.

*****************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Have the courage to live; anyone can die.---Robert Cody
 

Living means facing all of life. Life is joy and sorrow. We used to be people who wanted the joy without the sorrow. But we can learn from hard times, maybe more than we do in easy times. Often, getting through hard times helps us grow. When things get tough, maybe we want to turn and run. Then, a gentle voice from within us say, “I am with you. You have friends who will help.” If we listen, we’ll hear our Higher Power. This is what is meant by “conscious contact” in Step eleven. As this conscious contact grows, our courage grows. And we find the strength to face hard times.


Prayer for the Day:  I pray for the strength and courage to live. I pray that I’ll never have to face hard time alone again.
 
Action for the Day:  I’ll list two examples of conscious contact” in my life.
 
************************

One Day At A Time
 
It Gets Better
~ Scroll down for share ~

When we look back, we realize that the things which came to us
when we put ourselves in God's hands
were better than anything we could have planned.
- As Bill Sees It, p. 2

Thought to Ponder . . .
Life will take on new meaning.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
G I F T S =
Getting It From The Steps.

A MEMBER SHARES:
Hi, I'm Chaz, an alcoholic. About a year before I got sober, I remember going online to search engines questioning if I was an alcoholic. I answered 'yes' to most of the questions in all the questionnaires. I was worried -- I knew I was losing control. So, I made promises that I was only going to drink certain amounts on certain days. I was going to put a stop to it -- only to find out that I could not do it on my own. The year or so continued and things got worse. There was a death of a young child in my family, and I came to the conclusion that there was no God. My life only got worse. I felt helpless, out of control, miserable. Finally, I reached out to a rehab program which introduced me to AA. For once, I felt some hope. This program has taught me to believe in a Higher Power, and it is putting myself in His hands that keeps me sober. I found my HP through working through the Steps and talking to other alcoholics. It was tough the first year -- I wanted to give up so many times, but other AA'ers reminded me of why I wanted to quit drinking in the first place, and kept telling me to hang in there, work on the Steps, help others, and that it would get better. I did hang in, and thank God, it did get better. I am very thankful for this program and everyone in it. I could have never done this alone -- I love you all!
 
*********************
Daily Motivation
 
Step into this moment
 
Instead of obsessing over the problems, you can be working on the solutions. Where you're headed is a much more meaningful concern than where you've been.
 
Don't be held back by thoughts of what might go wrong. Now is your opportunity to do all you can to make sure things go right.
 
Choose right now to take life in stride. Remind yourself that you can do just fine with whatever life sends your way.
 
On the down days, let your dreams pull you up. On the up days, let those dreams push you even faster ahead.
There is goodness in all that's around you. There is some kind of positive value to be found in every experience.
 
See that goodness, and bring that value to life. Joyfully, confidently step into this beautiful moment and make its new richness your own.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment