Monday, November 22, 2010

Daily Motivation 11-22-10

Monday, November 22, 2010
Today's Gift

Without heroes, we are all plain people and don't know how far we can go. —Bernard Malamud

It is useful for us to reflect on our heroes for a time. Who do we greatly admire? Are they men or women? Are they closely involved in our lives, or are they distant and beyond our ability to reach on a personal level? Can we feel hopeful and open enough about life to have heroes?

Our heroes inspire us to find the new edges of our growth. We see in another man or woman the qualities and values we admire. We find our own best parts, perhaps partly hidden or undeveloped, in the people we hold as heroes. For example, if we admire a television personality, we can learn about our own values by asking what we admire in him or her. If we admire a friend, we may see a trait we hold dear in ourselves. As we grow and change, our heroes are replaced by others who fit our maturing values.

As I think about people I admire, I learn about myself from them.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©

 
***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Let me listen to me and not to them. ---Gertrude Stein
Often we try to please everyone around us. But this may not make us happy, and so we get angry. We feel taken advantage of.  We may be kind to others, but first we must love ourselves. How? By learning to listen to ourselves. To our dreams. To our higher power. By doing this we’ll be more happy. And those around us will probably be more happy too.


As our AA medallions say, “To Thine Own Self Be True.”

Prayer for the Day:  I pray that I’ll listen to that gentle, loving voice inside me. Higher Power, help me make me make my “conscious contact” with You better.

Action for the Day:  I will write down why I need to be true to myself.
 

***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Decisions
My decisions had been based on fear, pride, or ego.
As a result, those decisions led me down a path of self-destruction.
Today I try to allow God to guide me on the road to sanity.
I am responsible for my action - or inaction -- whatever the consequences may be.
- Daily Reflections, p. 78

Thought to Ponder . . .
 Maturity is the ability to make a decision and follow through.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
W O W =
Willingness Over Willpower.
 
******************** 
Daily Motivation
 
The limitless power of being

Give in to the beauty and completeness that is now. Let go of your complaints about what should or should not be, and embrace the fullness of what is.

Now, you are whole. Now, you are present and aware and entirely alive.

Accept what is, without condition or judgment. Feel the limitless power of being. 

In the perspective of now, excuses have no meaning. Worries make no sense and have no power, so they fall effortlessly away.

Feel the connection to all that is now. See that now there is nothing you need.

Let now be now and let yourself peacefully know it. Live the ever-unfolding miracle of what is, now.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment