Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Daily Motivations 9-29-10

Today's Gift
 

Life without idealism is empty indeed. We must have hope or starve to death. —Pearl Buck

Our ideals, the principles that order our lives, are essential to a healing life. Some of us have lived a pattern in which we did not know what we believed. If someone we liked stated a viewpoint, we might wear it for a while like a new shirt - but with no personal commitment. Others of us have indulged in negativism and hopelessness. Life is more fulfilling when we assert our beliefs and give ourselves to them. As human beings, we are unable to perfectly live out our beliefs, but we become whole men by giving our energies to the attempt.

Is beauty in music, art, and nature a worthwhile ideal for us? Are fairness and justice for all people what we value? Are love and brotherhood ideals we hold dear? When we dare assert these values in our lives, they are life giving to us. They mature us. Reaching for what is worthwhile, rather than cursing what is not, gives us a design for making all our choices, and we have hope.

I will dare to meet my negativism with my ideals. My spiritual health will give me life.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©

*****************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Al didn’t smile for forty years. You’ve got to admire a man like that.
-From the TV show, “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman”

 
Remember how we used to live? We were always trying to cover up some lie or mistake.
We were all like Al. Our energy was going into our illness, not into living.
Gratitude is the key word in the program. Gratitude is being thankful for the getting to know our Higher Power. Remember what it was like to not smile for all those years?

Recovery has given us back our smiles. What a relief! We can relax and enjoy our new life.

 
Prayer for the Day:  I pray that I’ll always remember what is was like when I was using. I pray that I’ll not take my recovery for granted. I prayer for gratitude.

Action For the Day:  I will list all the things the program and recovery have given me. I will smile about them today.
 

************************

One Day At A Time
 
Amends
The readiness to take the full consequences of our past acts,
and to take responsibility for the well-being of others at the same time,
is the very spirit of Step Nine.
- As Bill Sees It, p. 145

Thought to Ponder . . .
It is the highest form of self-respect to admit mistakes
and to make amends for them.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
G I F T S =
Getting It From The Steps.

A MEMBER SHARES:
Hi, I'm Kirk, an alcoholic. I'm so grateful for all of you! This past week-end I realized how much I love this program and depend on it for support. I shared my amends with my brother, and feel such a relief. What you all said about the past and "letting go" is true. Once I made my amends with him I felt an enormous weight being lifted. This is truly the first time I've felt the importance of Step Nine. I just want to thank all of you for your unconditional love -- I'm blessed to be a part of AA and getting better!
 

*********************
Daily Motivation
 
Confidence in now
 
Now is where you are. Now is where to focus your efforts and attention.
 
Now you can act and get results. Now you can make a difference and have an influence.
 
It makes no sense to concern yourself now with your shortcomings in the past. Now is when you can do what you were previously unable or unwilling to do.
 
There is time to live your life and that time is now. There is time to experience joy, love and fulfillment, and that time is now.
 
There is nothing you need before you can act, because you are already here and now. There is much that you can do, so do it now.
 
Make complete, effective use of this moment. And know the power of claiming full confidence in now.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment