Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daily Motivations 9-15-10

Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Today's Gift

The most wasted day of all is that in which we have not laughed.--Sebastian R.N. Chamfort

When we wallowed in the self-pity of obsession, we were sure we'd never laugh again.  How easy it was to weep, alone and secretly, inspired by sad music like "Born to Lose" or "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry."

What a shock it was to hear people laugh in our first few meetings! How could they laugh about something as serious as addiction? What an awakening when we were able to join the laughter.

We laughed with them as they laughed at the sad objects they once were. Today we can also laugh for pure joy at being free of restraints, and in gratitude for the resolve not to return to our old ways. We can laugh just for being alive.

Laughter is a source of growth for me. It keeps me thinking positively. It reduces the stress of problems. It tells me that any effort at progress is worthwhile. Laughter is progress.

You are reading from the book:

*****************************
Twenty-Four Hours A Day
Keep It Simple

 
Often the test of courage is not to die but to live.---Vittorio Alfiert

What brave people we are! We have chosen life. Okay, maybe we had a little push, maybe a big push from our family, police, or the pain of our disease. But still, we’ve chosen recovery. We choose daily to let our Higher Power run our lives. What trust! What faith! What courage!

We work hard at recovery. We do our meditate. We look for ways to serve others. Each one of us is building a miracle. We can be proud of this.

Prayer for the Day:  I pray that I’ll have the courage to love myself. High Power, teach me to pat myself on the back when I deserve it.

Action for the Day:  I will list three ways I am brave in recovery and share them with my group.


************************
One Day At A Time
Balance
~ Scroll down for share ~

Most of us have seen death close up.
We have known the kind of suffering that wrenches the bones.
But we also have known the sort of hope that makes your heart sing. . .
We'd like you to find some of the peace and joy we have found
in meeting the reality of life's ups and downs with a clear head and a steady heart.
- Living Sober, p. 86

Thought to Ponder . . .The peaks and valleys of my life have become gentle rolling hills.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O W =
Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness.

A MEMBER SHARES:My name is Hugh and I'm an alcoholic. AA is my way of life. We talk lots about how we got here, how drinking affected our lives and those around us. That's how it works in the beginning because alcohol rules us. As we progress through the Steps it turns out we can find relief from that alcohol that rules us; relief because a Higher Power now has our lives in its care. I came to AA because I didn't want to die drunk. People talked of complete abstinence, or never drinking again -- I didn't relate. I knew I was going to die soon and I was hoping for some little bit of comfort before I went. I know what it's like to lie on a sidewalk because you simply can't take another step and someone spits on you as they walk by. I know what it's like to sit in a Laundromat watching the dryer and hoping the person who owns those clothes doesn't come back right away because I think those pants will fit me. I know what it's like to sleep in a park and wake up to find someone has stolen my shoes. In the two decades of sitting in rooms listening to you share your experience, strength and hope; I've learned about how to live. You taught me how to work the Steps, and I slowly believed you -- that you actually did these Steps, you really did pray, and you absolutely believed in a Higher Power. I was amazed. You said I could do it also, and it wouldn't be so hard if I was willing -- and I sure was! So, balance in my life now? I am the best I've ever been. I am healthier, safer, and warmer; I am loved, and love back with warmth and affection, not lust and abuse. I stress about money, but God continues to look after me. I know everything good that has come into my life is because of people in AA, showing me that I too could have a Higher Power in my life. Thanks for letting me share.

*********************
Daily Motivation
A little distance

Think of the most difficult challenge you currently face. Now imagine that it's not you, but someone else who is going through that challenge.

What advice would you give that person? If you could step back and look at your situation as an objective observer, would you look at it any differently?

Think of the advice you would give another person if that person were in your exact same situation. Are you yourself following that advice right now?

When you're the one who is facing a challenge, you can be so close to it that your judgment is distorted. So imagine stepping back, away from the worry and anxiety.

Look at your situation calmly and objectively, putting it into the vast and valuable perspective of your entire life experience. Don't allow the problem to cloud your thinking just because you're the person who is experiencing it.

Give yourself the benefit of a little distance. And give yourself some great advice.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment