Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Daily Motivation 9-13-10

Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Today's Gift
When a person drowns himself in negative thinking he is committing an unspeakable crime against himself. —Maxwell Maltz

Negative thoughts can rule our lives as compulsively as an addiction. The feelings of power we get from holding a dismal and gloomy outlook deprive us of the positive and pleasant parts of life. Some of us have said, "If I expect the worst, I won't be disappointed. If I think the worst about myself, no one else can cut me down." It is like taking a driving trip and looking only for trash and garbage in the ditches, ignoring the beauty beyond. Indeed, what we see may be real, but it is a very limited piece of the picture.

When we have relied on negative thinking, it feels risky to give it up. We cannot do it in one day. We can begin by imagining ourselves with a more open attitude toward the world and ourselves. Then we can try it out as an experiment in little ways, with no commitment. Finally we reach the point where we can take a risk and entrust our Higher Power with the outcome.

Today, I will experiment with hopeful and positive thoughts about what happens.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©
 

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
Keep It Simple

 
You must look into people, as well as at them.
---Lord Chesterfield

When we were using alcohol and other drugs, we only looked at people. We treated them like objects. Often, we could only see how they helped us get high, or how they got in our way. Now we can see others as people. We look into them. We learn about their feelings and thoughts. We care about them. What a wonderful change! We are fully human again. We can have relationships.

When we look into others, we see life. We see beauty, courage, hope and love. We see bits of ourselves and our Higher Power. What a miracle life is.

Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, help me be fully human today. Help me see You in others.

Action for the Day:  Today, I’ll look into someone. I’ll do this by having a talk with a friend. And I’ll really listen.
**********************

One Day At A Time
Online


I'm thrilled that at any hour I can find someone to talk to.
Twice this week, I've had tormented thoughts at three A.M.
Do I have to wake someone up for support?
No, because other sober insomniacs are online,
ready to help me make it through the night.
I didn't want a drink. I just needed the loving support of the Fellowship.
Knowing I can talk and apply the Steps to my chaotic thoughts and feelings
at three A.M. makes a world of difference to me. . .
Online meetings are like any other -- if you get there, you are welcome there.
- Thank You For Sharing, p. 71

Thought to Ponder . . .
Modem-to-modem or face-to-face, AA's speak the language of the heart
in all its power and simplicity.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H E A R T
= Healing, Enjoying, And Recovering Together.

********************* 
Daily Motivation

Where confidence comes from

Where your confidence comes from is not really that important. What matters is where your confidence can take you.

Perhaps your confidence is based on your past experiences, or perhaps it is not. Perhaps you are confident in yourself just because you have chosen to be.

Confidence is not about what has already happened. Confidence is about moving forward and creating the best of what can be.

Even though you have no logical reason to be, you can still be genuinely confident about what you intend to do.

Confidence is an attitude you choose, not an evaluation of what you've already been through.

Ultimately, confidence does not come from who you know or where you've been or what you've done. It comes from your choice to do what you know you must.

Confidence can be yours no matter what. Choose it and use it to follow your dreams.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment