Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday, August 30, 2009

Monday, August 30, 2009
Today's Gift
 

Procrastination is the thief of time. —Edward Young

When we have a problem with putting things off, we seem to add to our troubles by mentally flogging ourselves. We know we are losing time. We criticize ourselves for our irrational behavior. Whether we are putting off an important task in our lives or letting many little undone jobs accumulate, we could benefit from stopping the self-criticism and asking ourselves for the spiritual message in our actions. Perhaps we need some quiet time to do absolutely nothing. Maybe our perfectionism is paralyzing us. Is an "all or nothing" attitude telling us if we can't do the whole job right away, there is no point in beginning? Unexpressed anger may be blocking us from doing what we need to do.

Whenever we find ourselves doing things that seem irrational we can ask, "What is the message from my Higher Power in this behavior?" This question will carry us much further toward spiritual growth than the mental criticism we are tempted to do.

Today, I will do what I can within the limits of one day, and I will stay in communication with my Higher Power.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©1986,

 

***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Walk In Dry Places
 
THE MASKS ARE FALLING
Openness   Individuals and families can be quite successful at masking personal problems and feelings. This doesn't always work very well with alcoholics, though some of us did manage to conceal our problem for long periods before our lives began to break down.


However, it is becoming more acceptable to admit to such problems, and it is no longer surprising to read that a prominent person is being treated for an addiction. This new openness has also made it possible to abandon the masks we've been wearing to hide our feelings. When people learn they can be more open with their problems and need for help, it also becomes easier to admit that they are angry. fearful. unhappy, or even frightened.

Removing our masks and letting others see us as we are is only the first phase in the real honesty we're seeking. After expressing ourselves authentically, do we find we like who we are? Now that we know and admit the truth about ourselves, what are we going to do to make needed changes?
Action for the Day: I will face who and what I really am today.  I will use my strengths and not let any shortcomings keep me from being effective.
 
 
***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Excuses
~ Scroll down for share ~
 
We can spend hours thinking of reasons that we want or need or intend
to take a drink. Or we can spend the same time listing reasons
that drinking is not good for us and abstaining is more healthful,
and listing things we can do instead of drinking.
Each of us makes that choice in his or her own way.
- Living Sober, p. 50

Thought to Ponder . . .
Nothing is so bad that a drink won't make worse.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H A L T =
Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired.

A Member Shares:
Hi, I am Bobbi, and I'm an alcoholic. At my Home Group meetings, we say, "I drank every day ending in ‘y’." I drank when I was happy, on a sunny day, or when it rained. I didn't need an excuse. I just drank. I was angry a lot, I was tired, and I was empty on the inside. I did not have a Higher Power. I was self-propelled – “self” being the key word. My Higher Power keeps me from drinking. On page 164 of the Big Book we read, “See to it that your relationship with Him is right, and great events will come to pass for you and countless others. This is the Great Fact for us.” My sobriety is based on my spiritual condition. It's not just a fact; the Big Book said it was a GREAT fact. That tells me it must be important. One good thing about AA is that I get to choose what my own Higher Power/God/Being is. A new person at my Home Group meeting tonight said how amazing it was that SHE could determine what that HP was. Thanks for letting me share.
 

******************** 
Daily Motivation
 
A good enough reason


Give yourself a good enough reason and you can get yourself to do whatever must be done. Give yourself a meaningful enough reason why, and it will happen.

Make yourself an offer that you can't refuse. Give yourself a reason that you cannot resist.
 
In an instant you can go from apathetic and unmotivated to enthusiastic and energetic. All you have to do is find that raw nerve of authentic desire, and touch it.
 
Allow yourself to want what you really want. Then allow yourself to be driven by that desire.
 
Every possibility is open to you. Latch on to one so positive and compelling that it won't leave you alone until you make it happen.
 
Give yourself a good enough reason and you'll give yourself plenty of motivation. Give yourself a good enough reason and you'll have no trouble moving quickly and decisively forward.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment