Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Daily Motivations 7/21/2010

Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Today's Gift

I wake each morning with the thrill of expectation and the joy of being truly alive. And I'm thankful for this day. —Angela L. Wozniak

Being open to the day's offering, all of it, and looking for the positive experiences therein, becomes habit only after a firm commitment and dedicated practice. Today is special for each of us.

These next twenty-four hours will be unlike all others. And we are not the persons we were, even as recently as yesterday. Looking forward to all of the day's events, with the knowledge that we are in the care of our higher power, in every detail, frees us to make the most of everything that happens.

We have been given the gift of life. We are survivors. The odds against survival in our past make clear we have yet a job to do and are being given the help to do it. Confidence wavers in all of us, but the strength we need will be given to each of us.

In this day that stands before me, I can be certain that I'll have many chances for growth, for kindness to others, for developing confidence in myself. I will be thoughtful in my actions today. They are special and will be repeated no more.

From Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women by Karen Casey ©

*****************************
Twenty-Four Hours A Day

Keep It Simple

There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise. ---Gore Vidal

Many of us used a "know it all" act to keep people away. We kept everyone around us on edge. They were afraid of our judgments, just we were secretly afraid of theirs. Why were we so busy with everyone else's life? So we didn't have to look at our own! We were afraid of what was happening to us. But we didn't want to see how sick we were becoming. Now we're not afraid. We don't need to keep people away. We don't need to run their lives. We have our life to live. And we're enjoying it.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, You are the expert, not me. Teach me. I am Your student.

Action for the Day: Today, I'll list the ways I chased away those who cared about me.. I'll work on the Steps on these items for the next week.

************************
One Day At A Time

Connecting
~ Scroll down for share ~

He said, "Now I know what's wrong with me. I am an alcoholic." . . .
When he talked about his feelings, he talked about my feelings, about feelings I had!
Without knowing the precise moment when the change occurred,
I stopped feeling sorry for myself and for the first time
began to hope that maybe I might make it after all.
- The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 3], pp. 8-10

Thought to Ponder . . .
I am unique, just like everyone else.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
Y A N A =
You Are Not Alone.

A MEMBER SHARES:
I'm Dan, an alcoholic. We all have a story about our past. The facts and circumstances can be very different, but we all hit a bottom. When I heard, "Relate; don't compare," I understood for the first time it isn't a match to see who had the lower physical bottom. It is a story of how we never could cope with that feeling of being outside looking at all the others. For the most part, I never could connect. When I went through things before this program, I drank them away and never went through them emotionally. When I got sober, I had to go through them emotionally, but I found people who understood the disconnected nature of this disease. Then and there, I felt connected. When I tried to work the "I" program, I failed. When I learned about this "We" program, I found hope. I knew I had surrounded myself with a bunch of people who felt like misfits, just like me. Since then, I have gone through many life-changing experiences -- buried people I love, endured hardships of many kinds. But you guys and the teachings of this program taught me that it will all pass as long as I don't drink; as long as I show up for life on life's terms. Thanks!

*********************
Daily Motivation

Look again

What if the factors holding you back are doing so only because of the way you have chosen to see them? What if you were to choose to see them in a new light?

If a door is always locked the first six or seven times you attempt to open it, you'll probably stop making the attempt. Yet just because that door was once locked, doesn't mean it will always be.

More significantly, that door is not the only way into the place you wish to go. There could very well be many other doors, some of them open to you, or windows, or other pathways.

There is a positive, empowering way to look at whatever your situation may be. By changing your perspective, you can significantly improve your options.

Consider your most challenging obstacle. Then, step outside your current set of assumptions, and look at it again.

Stop fighting the same old fight that's supported by the same old perspective. Look again, know that it's there, and you'll find a new way forward.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment