Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Daily Motivation 04-14-10

Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Today's Gift

There the penitents took off their shoes And walked barefoot the remaining mile.
—Robert Lowell

Some people have to have pain. If dirt doesn't fall on their heads from the sky, they sulk in corners and hope their flesh turns to dust. They do everything the hard way, even when they know better, and often complain and accuse others for their pain. For people like this, even the song of a bird is a bother. It's better to smile when people like that accuse. It's better to wear shoes when walking on stones, better to take the shortest way. There is weeping and wailing enough in the world, dumps full of worn-out guilt and remorse. When the bird sings, it's better to look up and see that it beats its wings not to punish itself, but to fly.

Do I pity myself when I could be flying?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©1985, 1991 by Hazelden Foundation.

******************************************************
Twenty-Four Hours d Day

Keep It Simple

It is enough that I am of value to somebody today.---Hugh Prather
Even in recovery, we addicts often feel we are not enough. Maybe it's leftover shame from our using days. But we are enough. We are of great value. We all need each other to stay sober.

Each of us needs other recovering people to help us remember the hell of addiction. We can forget how bad it was, but telling our stories makes us remember. When you feel you don't want to stay sober for yourself, then stay sober for your brothers and sisters in the program. They need you.

You're their recovery, as they're yours. There may be days you don't feel glad to be sober. But your friends in this fellowship are glad you're sober. They thank-you for your sobriety

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, may Your will, not mine, be done.

Action For the Day: I'll stop and think of all the people I'm glad for. I'll start telling them today.
******************************************************
One Day At A Time

Willingness
~ Scroll down for share ~

The essence of all growth is a willingness to change for the better
and then an unremitting willingness
to shoulder whatever responsibility this entails.
- As Bill Sees It, p. 115

Thought to Ponder . . .
Willpower ... our will-ingness to use a Higher Power.

AA-Related 'Alconym' . . .
H O W =
Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness.

A Member Shares:
Hi, I‘m Hopi, an alcoholic. I've never been that good when it comes to willingness. I mean, it wasn't hard for me to be willing to take a drink, but the thought of losing the drink scared me a lot. For a long time it was my escape -- and I guess it was like my only one. I thought It was the only thing I could use to get through all the pain, and I was sure life would never be the same without it. So, because of that, I felt I could never give it up. It was either booze or death, and for a while that was okay -- it didn't scare me at all. I think that changed when I began thinking about the people around me. Being the alcoholic that I was, it never even crossed my mind what my loved ones were going through, or what they would go through if my life ended. Hearing it all being said was what opened my eyes. I had to change, and this is the only way I've found that helps -- that truly helps. And now willingness isn't even a question. It’s the only thing that I have left. It’s the only thing that keeps me here and sober and happy! Especially happy, because this is one of the only times in my life where I can remember such emotion. It’s not blurred by my intoxication -- it’s really amazing! Thank you oh so very much for listening
.
***************************************************
Daily Motivation

Get yourself a purpose


Even if it's not a particularly fashionable one, get yourself a purpose for this day, for this month, for this year, for your life. And be sure it's an authentic purpose, or there's really no value in following it.
Life is already frustrating enough. Don't add to that frustration by needlessly choosing to be aimless.

Figure out what you really, truly desire. It's not easy or comfortable, yet you absolutely have what it takes to connect with a meaningful purpose.
What is it that would make you feel more complete, more right, more fulfilled than anything else? Let go of your judgments, assumptions and inhibitions, and let yourself feel the answer to that.

Instead of wasting your time drifting, use your time to achieve and to live life on your own terms. Instead of having nothing to show for your efforts, create meaningful and lasting value with those efforts.

Put the power of purpose into this day, and into your world. When your purpose is clear and sincere, nothing can hold you back.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment