Monday, April 26, 2010

Daily Motivation 4-26-10

Monday, April 26, 2009
Today's Gift

Negativity

Some people are carriers of negativity. They are storehouses of pent up anger and volatile emotions. Some remain trapped in the victim role and act in ways that further their victimization. And others are still caught in the cycle of addictive or compulsive patterns.

Negative energy can have a powerful pull on us, especially if we're struggling to maintain positive energy and balance. It may seem that others who exude negative energy would like to pull us into the darkness with them. We do not have to go. Without judgment, we can decide it's okay to walk away, okay to protect ourselves.

We cannot change other people. It does not help others for us to get off balance. We do not lead others into the Light by stepping into the darkness with them.

Today, Higher Power, help me to know that I don't have to allow myself to be pulled into negativity - even around those I love. Help me set boundaries. Help me know it's okay to take care of myself.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.


*************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.---Maurice Setter
Silver shines as bright as gold does. So often we forget this. So often we push, push, push. We forget to live for the moment. Trying too hard can be a defect of character. It can be a way we avoid life. Gratitude, being thankful, is key part of recovery. Not just gratitude for getting our self-respect back. Not just gratitude for having a Higher Power. But gratitude for the moment. We're alive again. Let's see each moment as a time to explore life..

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, thanks for helping me to enjoy each moment. I have gratitude for being alive.

Action for the Day: I'll list ten gifts of recovery for which I have gratitude.
**************************
One Day At A Time

Forgiveness

~ Scroll down for share ~

I must forgive injuries, not just in words, or as a matter of form, but in my heart.
I do this not for the other persons' sake, but for my own sake.
Resentment, anger, or a desire to see someone punished,
are things that rot my soul.
- Daily Reflections, p. 88

Thought to Ponder . . .
Forgiveness of others is a gift to yourself.

AA-Related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Accountable Actions.

A Member Shares:
Hi AA family, I'm Peyton, and I'm an alcoholic. Forgiveness can be a lot harder for me than making amends -- asking someone else to forgive me, and then living the actions to show I mean my amends. Another member spoke of looking within and seeing myself; seeing where a resentment and lack of forgiveness is on my part. I so agree with that. Yet whether it is with me or with the other person, it is up to me to forgive. It is not to wait for them to ask forgiveness for whatever I feel they have done wrong to me. Many times, others really don't care if we forgive them or not. They may not even be aware of my resentment toward them. Forgiveness is for me. It enables me to let go of something that is causing angst in my life, heart and mind. Many times, I've had to ask God for the willingness to forgive. In addition, most times, I have been able to get to the point of forgiveness. Sometimes I haven't, and that's because I am unwilling to let go and stop trying to control things. Forgiving others brings about peace for me. It allows me to care for others more easily, and to live a life I want to live instead of one filled with resentment and anger. With the help of God, and all of you, I am sober today, and doing my best to be willing to forgive. Thanks for allowing me to share.

**********************
Daily Motivation

No comments:

Post a Comment