Thursday, April 29, 2010

Daily Motivation 4-29-10

Thursday, April 29, 2010
Today's Gift

Attitudes and Limitation

To a large extent, the way we think determines who we are and what happens to us.

We cannot harbor poisonous thoughts without their effects visibly showing in our lives. If we dwell on our inadequacy and ineffectiveness, for example, circumstances will prove us correct because we will invite self-defeating events to us.

On the other hand, replacing destructive thoughts with hope-filled, optimistic ones brings peaceful and confidence-producing circumstances to us. We will radiate competence and joy.

Today I will make it a habit to continually replace pessimistic thoughts with optimistic ones. I will dwell on what is uplifting so that I may increase my courage and confidence as well as better my circumstances.

You are reading from the book:

The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes

******************************
Twenty-Four Hours A Day
Walk in Dry Places

Living today.
Remember the Past, but don't live in it.
In some ways, the Twelve Step recovery process invites trouble in dealing with the past. We're supposed to forget the past and live for today. But the opening thoughts delivered at meetings often review the past in painful detail, thus reinforcing the tendency to relive it. How should we approach this problem?

Our need is to remember the past while releasing any bitterness, regrets, or hurts connected with it. We must never live in the past, which we are doing when we feel either resentment or remorse about actions of others or ourselves. It is, however, helpful to remember what happened in the past so that we will no longer repeat the same mistakes.

We should also remember the past as a means of keeping ourselves both humble and honest. It should help us feel gratitude that we no longer have to live as we once did.

Remembering the past in open "lead" meetings is sometimes called "qualifying" as an alcoholic. It is an aid to carrying the message of recovery and a way of building more strength and understanding for today and tomorrow.

Action for the Day: I'll be pleased today that I can remember the past without living in it. I am free from the old hurts and problems that would keep me from directing all of my energies and attention to what I am doing here and now.

**************************
One Day At A Time
Understanding

My Higher Power began to clear my channels so that real understanding began to come. . .
It was realization and acknowledgement
of the fact that I was full of self-pity and resentment,
realization of the fact that I had not fully given my problems to my Higher Power.
I was still trying to do my own fixing.
~ Florence R., early AA member 12-Stepped by Bill & Lois W. ~
- Experience, Strength and Hope, p. 22

Thought to ponder . . .
When I struggle, I sink. When I let go, I float.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
G R O W T H =
God Reveals Other Ways To Heal.

**************************
Daily Motivation
Be the beauty
Take the time today to do something wonderful. Take the time to do something that reminds you of how precious and beautiful life is.


Those urgent matters that seem so important are really not, when compared to the unique miracle that is your life. Take the time today to feel truly alive.

Look closely, with your heart, and see magnificence in the smallest and simplest of things. Instead of trading all your time for money or ego boosters, invest a little time in being genuinely at peace.

You cannot schedule life's richness for later. Yet you can always enjoy it now.

Let yourself live that richness. Joyfully give in to the longing of your spirit.

Feel the immensity of existence. Be the beauty that you know you are.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment