Monday, October 8, 2018

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 10-8-2018

Monday, October 8, 2018
Today's Gift

Grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

Some things I cannot change: my age, who my relatives are, my eye color, my height, my childhood experiences, my inborn talents, my nature, someone else's personalty, whether the sun will shine, my job history, what I will inherit, how my parents feel, yesterday's lost opportunities, how long I will live, who forgives me, how my parents treated me, how much I am loved, the past.

Some things I can change: the youthfulness of my spirit, who my friends are, my hair color, my weight, my adult experiences, my achievements, my character, my reaction to someone else's personalty, whether my eyes will shine, my job possibilities, what I will bequeath, how I feel, my ability to act on today's opportunities, how well I will live, whom I forgive, how I treat my own children, how much I love, the future.

I thank the Universe and my Higher Powers for my growing ability to choose.

From the book Days of Healing, Days of Joy by Earnie Larsen and Carol Larsen Hegarty. ©
Days of Healing, Days of Joy.jpg

From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

We cannot avoid
Using power,
Cannot escape the compulsion
To afflict the world,
So let us, cautious in diction
And mighty in contradiction,
Love powerfully.
--Martin Buber

The use and misuse of power by men give us much to weep over and much to admire. In our own families we see how our parents fought over power, how they used it both wisely and abusively. Our problems with power and control are a central part of our addictions and codependency. Admitting our powerlessness has started us toward recovery. Admitting our power will help carry us further.

No one is innocent beyond childhood. We affect the people around us, and it matters how we treat them. We cannot come and go unnoticed. Since we will make an impact, we learn to treat ourselves and the people around us with respect and justice. Our only solution is to learn to love and be loved.

Action for the Day: Today, I will be more aware of the power I have in others' lives.


From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums Daily Recovery Readings - http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

****************************
One Day At A Time

Our Job
Your job now is to be at the place where you may be of maximum helpfulness to
others, so never hesitate to go anywhere if you can be helpful. You should not hesitate
to visit the most sordid spot on earth on such an errand. Keep on the firing line of life
with these motives and our Higher Power will keep you unharmed.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 102

Thought to Ponder
Trust the Universe. Clean house. Help others.

AA-related 'Alconym'
W O R K = W
hat Our Recovery Knows


From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)

***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

On this very day
by Ralph Marston

Right now is your only opportunity to live this one-of-a-kind day. Fill its moments with purpose, experience, feeling, wonder, kindness, and love.

Remind yourself how fortunate you are to be here, now, alive, aware, and able to make a difference. Share your good fortune by offering the best version of yourself to everyone you encounter.

Choose not to waste any of today’s precious time on things that bring you down or on matters that don’t really matter. Keep your focus on the beauty, on the goodness, on all you love.

Don’t rush ahead, don’t fall behind. Embrace each moment as it arrives and work to fulfill its unique opportunities.

The richness of your life does not live in some distant time or faraway place. It is here, now, ready to be experienced and expressed.

Step boldly forward and connect with the great value that is yours to live on this very day. Realize who you are, what you have, everything you can do, and be inspired to put it all, right now, to great use.


From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment