Monday, January 16, 2017

The Work-In: Daily Motivation 1-16-2017

Monday, January 16, 2017
Today's Gift

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. —Ralph Waldo Emerson

What good qualities lie within us? How do we choose to use them today? These simple questions point our way. Yet, on some days it seems so easy to get swept along with thoughts of future pain. And when we are not worrying about the future, we may fall into regrets about the past. Either way, we are distracted from our only opportunity to make a real difference - to be the kind of person we want to be in this moment, to learn from today's experiment in living.

On this day, I will walk a little slower and will listen closely to the messages within me.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men ©

From: Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation - Thought for the Day http://www.hazeldenbettyford.org/recovery/thought-for-the-day

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

If I am not for myself, who is for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when? --Hillel

Some of us were treated badly as young children and never learned how to live for ourselves. We can see only two choices: either be submissive and caretaking or be abusive and demanding. Many of us have so much guilt and shame that we feel we don't deserve to stand up for ourselves. We must be for ourselves. If we don't know how, we learn. If we are unsure, we must experiment. When we make mistakes, we must admit them and know we have a right to be imperfect learners. And we can't be only for ourselves, because that keeps us small and turns us back to where we came from.

As we accept ourselves and come to know our imperfections and weaknesses, we can understand others better. We are stronger in giving to others and more effective because we have a place to stand.

Action for the Day: Today, even if I don't feel good about myself, I will stand up for my dignity.

From: Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums

****************************
One Day At A Time

Expectations
Until I could honestly look at myself
and see that I was the problem in many situations and react appropriately inside and out;
until I could discard my expectations
and understand that my serenity was directly proportional to them,
I could not experience serenity and sound living.
- Daily Reflections, p. 71

Thought to Ponder . . .
Expectations are resentments 'under construction.'

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
G R A C E = G
ently Releasing All Conscious Expectations

From: AA Thought for the Day (courtesy AA-Alive.net)

***************************
Daily Motivation

Excerpt of The Daily Motivator

Each moment makes a difference
by Ralph Marston

The person you become, the life you live, the results you get are a direct result of the way you spend your time. How do you intend to spend your time today?

Every person alive will have the same number of hours in this day. Yet the value obtained in those hours will vary remarkably.

You have time, and with it, opportunity. Decide right now to put it to its highest use.

As you travel through the day, remind yourself that each moment makes a difference. The way you live it determines what that difference will be.

You know that the difference between speeding forward and standing still is made in each moment. As the moments arrive, keep reminding yourself of their opportunity.

A little extra effort, each time you get the chance, leads to a lot of extra richness in your life. The day has arrived, and you know what to do.

From The Daily Motivator website at http://greatday.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment