Friday, September 28, 2012

Daily Motivation 9-28-2012

Friday, September 28, 2011
Today's Gift
 
Every time I get worried about something I say my prayers more. --Jim Burns
 
Whether we grew up in religious families or not, most of us seek help from some Greater Power when we're faced with terrifying situations. Often it's at an unconscious level that we ask for extra help. But the fact that we do elicit strength from some source comforts us, and this enables us to walk through the experience that appears so daunting.
 
We never outgrow the need for strength and comfort. That's good news. It's too awesome to think that we need to know all now, to understand how every detail of living should unfold. It's quite enough to limit our focus on the details of the next 24 hours.
 
Let's be vigilant about our search for guidance and comfort. And let's not forget that we have to listen for the response. If our minds are filled with worrying, there will be no space for the answers to enter.
 
Praying or meditating for solutions or comfort or just a moment of peace will change my perspective today. When my perspective changes, so do my experiences.
 
From the book Keepers of the Wisdom by Karen Casey
 
 
********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Why is life so tragic, so like a little strip of pavement over an abyss? I look
down; I feel giddy; I wonder how I am ever to walk to the end. --Virginia Woolf
 
As we look toward the hours ahead, we can be thankful that we need be
concerned with only a single day's worth of hours. No more. What may
come tomorrow, a decision that might be necessary next week, a big change
in our lives coming next year, all will be handled with ease, when the time is right.
 
How fortunate we are, those of us who share this program for living! Our
worries about the future are over, if we want them to be. We need to take
only one step at a time. One day at a time. And always in the care of our Higher Power.
Relief from our lives of worry is immediate when we live the axiom, "Let go and let God."
 
Life does present us with tragedies, and we learn from them. They need not
detour us, however. In fact, they strengthen us and encourage personal growth.
And no experience will ever be more than we and our higher power can handle.
 
Action for the Day: I will turn to my Higher Power and everything it offers today. Just today, and no more, is my concern.
 
***********************
One Day At A Time
 
Vigilance
Today I am an alcoholic/addict. Tomorrow will be no different.
My alcoholism/addiction lives within me now and forever. I must never forget what I am.
Alcohol/drugs will surely kill me if I fail to recognize and acknowledge
my disease on a daily basis.
- Daily Reflections, p. 276

Thought to Ponder . . .
Sobriety is a gift, the price of which is eternal vigilance.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Always Aware
 
***********************
Daily Motivation

Powerful combination

Be thankful for what you’ve done, learn from it, and use what you now know to move forward. Regretting and second-guessing your past actions will just hold you back, so quit beating yourself up and start pushing yourself ahead.

Though your past hasn’t been perfect, it has been successful in many ways. For what you’ve done in the past has provided you with the opportunities you now have in the present.

In a very real sense, you are more knowledgeable, more capable, more experienced and more inspired right now than ever before. You are now here, ready to make good, meaningful use of all that.

Now, you have the opportunity to transform past disappointments into future successes. Take whatever has happened, and choose for it to serve you well going forward.

This is not the time to rest on your previous achievements or to be demoralized by your past mistakes. This is the time to gather it all into a positive forward momentum.

This is a new moment and you are the best you’ve ever been. Transform that powerful combination into truly valuable results.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment