Friday, October 21, 2011

Daily Motivation 10-21-11

Friday, October 21, 2011
Today's Gift
 
Choice of attention - to pay attention to this and ignore that - is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. In both cases, a man is responsible for his choice and must accept the consequences. --W. H. Auden
 
Many of us have said, "I can't help myself!" when we tried to stop our constant thinking about other people or their behavior. "I know it's not good for me, but what can I do when they keep acting that way?"
 
Let us think of ourselves as living in a house with many windows. At each window is a different view, and within each view are many things to catch our attention -- perhaps there are some people, some traffic, some buildings, a horizon, and some trees. If we always go to the same window and focus on the same object, we are not using all our choices. We may have overlooked some things in our lives that need attention. There are many things we are totally powerless over. Our power exists in changing the focus of our attention.
 
Today, I will notice where I am choosing to pay attention. I pray for guidance in being aware of my options.
 
From the book: Touchstones by Anonymous
 

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

We lie loudest when we lie to ourselves.---Eric Hoffer
When we’re not honest with others, we’re not being honest with ourselves. In recovery, we’re taught how to heal our hearts. We admit we’re wrong, and we do it quickly. We let our spirit have the loudest voice.

This way, lies lose power over us. We find a way to be true to our spirit.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, You have a soft, quiet voice inside me. Help me, through meditation, to hear You better. Yours is the voice to follow.

Action for the Day: I’ll listen to my Higher Power. I’ll list any lies I’ve been telling myself and others lately. Then I’ll find someone I trust and tell that person what I’ve lied about.

**********************
One Day At A Time

A Common Solution
The tremendous fact for every one of us
is that we have discovered a common solution.
We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree,
and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 17

Thought to Ponder . . .
The solution is simple. The solution is spiritual.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
H O W =
Honesty, Open-mindedness, Willingness.

********************
Daily Motivation

Your richness

Life’s richness is not something you must go out and acquire. It is something you have the good fortune to be able to express at any time.

You don’t have to wait for, or hope for, or strive to create certain conditions. You can experience and enjoy life’s richness wherever you are.

Look back, and see that the times you remember most fondly are the times you’ve given of yourself most generously. Open yourself now, and let life’s richness flow out into the world around you.

In your deep and sincere appreciation for even the smallest of things, life’s richness grows more vivid. Through the joys, the challenges, the efforts, the pleasures and even the pains, your life gains more beautiful and valuable substance.

Celebrate your good fortune by making good and meaningful use of the opportunity you now have to truly live. Each day is your opportunity to transform boundless abundance into splendid fulfillment.

Now is when your most beautiful possibilities can genuinely come to life. Feel the beauty and power of your good fortune, and let more and more of life’s richness flow out in all you do.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment