Monday, September 19, 2011

Daily Motivation 9-19-11

Monday, September 19, 2011
Today's Gift

...the secret of my success is that at an early age I discovered I was not God. —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sometimes, in our families, we try to get parents or brothers or sisters to treat us the way we want them to, to do things we want them to. When they're upset or angry with us, we try to get them to stop, rather than allow them to be angry.

But our feelings are ours alone, and we are responsible only for how we feel. Those around us are not the cause of our feelings. We are.

This knowledge is a big responsibility, because we know we cannot blame others for our bad moods. But it is a fact. And this fact is also a wonderful freedom for us, for it means that we also have the power to make ourselves happy, no matter what goes on around us.

How can I make myself happy today?

From Today's Gift: Daily Meditations for Families ©

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

When we look back, we realize that the things which came to us when
we put ourselves in our Higher Power’s hands were better than anything we could
have planned.---Alcoholics Anonymous

We can’t control the present by looking into the future. We can only
look back at the past. The past can teach us how to get more out of
the present. But the past is to be learned from, not to be judged.
As we look back, we see the troubles caused by addiction. But we
also see recovery. We see how our lives are better. We see our
Higher Power’s work in our lives. If we honestly look at our past, we learn.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, help me learn from the past.
With Your help, I’ll stop judging my past, just as I wouldn’t judge
those who have gone before me.

Action for the Day: Today, I’ll remember my life before I got sober.
Do I still hang on to attitudes or behaviors that might make me start to
use alcohol and other drugs again?

***********************
One Day At A Time

Today
Today I can walk down any street , anywhere,
without fear of meeting someone I've harmed.
Today my thoughts are not consumed with craving for the next drink
or regret the damage I did on the last drunk.
Today I reside among the living, no better, no worse than any of God's children.
Today I look in the mirror when putting on my makeup and smile,
rather than shy away from looking myself in the eye.
Today I fit in my skin. I am at peace with myself and the world around me.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 318

Thought to Ponder . . .
I never imagined that the greatest achievement of my life
would be peace of mind.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
J F T =
Just For Today.

********************
Daily Motivation

Enjoy the big rewards

Small things can make a big difference. This moment is no exception.

It may seem like just another minute, just another second among the thousands that make up this day. Yet it is the time you now have, and you can now put it to valuable use.

All the power you have to make a difference is focused on now, so use it now. Now is your opportunity to make real progress, so do it now.

You can come away from this moment with new value, or you can come away with regrets. Avoid the regrets and create the value by filling your moments as they come with meaningful action.

This moment may seem small, yet what you do with it can have a profound and lasting effect on your life. Live it now with richness, with purpose, with integrity and love.

Give your best to this moment, and to the next, and to each one that comes your way. Make good use of the small opportunities, and you’ll enjoy the big rewards.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment