Monday, August 15, 2011

Daily Motivation 8-15-11

Monday, August 15, 2011
Today's Gift
 
Each of my days are miracles. I won't waste my day; I won't throw away a miracle. -- Kelley Vickstrom
 
It's so easy to forget to be grateful for our many blessings. We may take our freedom from the compulsion to drink or use for granted. Having learned to monitor our behavior and change it when necessary, we seldom treasure this skill as an asset.
 
The rut of complacency claims all of us at one time or another. And our complacency can lead us to the stinking thinking that's only a step away from drinking or using or some other compulsive behavior. Having sponsors point out our complacency may irritate us, but it may also save our lives.
 
Practicing gratitude will keep us aware of the small and large miracles that we have experienced on this recovery journey: We remember where we were last night (thanks to the clear vision of abstinence). We have reconciled with family members.
 
In fact, we are walking miracles, and our Higher Power has a plan for the rest of our lives. Let's be ready for it.
 
I will try to be attentive to every moment of today, knowing that each experience is part of the miracle of my life.
 
You are reading from the book:

A Woman's Spirit by Karen Casey

***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.---Shakespeare
We are addicts. We suffer from an illness. We go to Twelve Step meetings because we know who we are. We have a sponsor because we know who we are. We ask friends for support because we know who we are. We know why we need our Higher Power to guide us. Recovery is a spiritual journey. In this journey, we are followers, not guides. It's a journey that change us. We don't know how recovery will change us, but we know it will. Is my faith strong enough for my journey? Part of how we get strong for our journey is by knowing who we truly are: addicts.

Prayer for the Day: I pray to remember who I am, so I'll learn to respect the power of my illness.

Action for the Day: I'll take time to remember my past, both good and bad. I'll also take time to think about who I am now. How far have I come?


***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Patience
It is with others that, with the grace of my Higher Power and the fellowship of AA,
I trudge the road of happy destiny. May I always remember
that the power within me is far greater than any fear before me.
May I always have patience, for I am on the right road.
- Daily Reflections, p. 70

Thought to Ponder . . .
Patience is passion tamed.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
P A U S E =
Patience And Understanding Succeed Every time.
 
********************
Daily Motivation

Pathway to fulfillment

Life is not about just getting by. Life is about reaching ever higher, building one achievement on top of another, and creating real, meaningful value in each moment.

A common stone on the ground does a great job of just getting by. You, on the other hand, are destined for much more spectacular things.

Yes indeed, you will most certainly encounter a whole lot of challenges when you make the effort to raise your world even a little bit higher. The good thing is, you are superbly equipped to thrive on those challenges.

If life seems unfulfilling, it’s not because of the challenges or limitations that stand in your way. It’s because you refuse to see the exceptional opportunities that those challenges represent.

This is your precious and unique life, and it is absolutely worth all the trouble and effort you must go through to make it great. Within you at this moment are beautiful dreams, and you can begin to live in the direction of those dreams whenever you choose.

Let go of the false security of just getting by, and get yourself focused on a purpose that will bring your life gloriously to life. Your very own pathway to fulfillment is just one quick step away.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment