Friday, August 12, 2011

Daily Motivation 8-12-11

Friday, August 12, 2011
Today's Gift

In good films, there is always a directness that entirely frees us from the itch to interpret. --Susan Sontag

Direct people are a joy to be around.

We never have to guess what they're really thinking or feeling, because they're honest about their thoughts and openly express their feelings.

We never have to wonder if they're with us because they want to be, or if they're there out of guilt and obligation.

When they do something for us, we don't have to worry whether they'll end up resenting us because direct people generally do things that please themselves.

We don't have to fuss about the status of our relationship because if we ask, they'll tell us.

We don't have to worry if they're angry because they deal openly with their anger and resolve it quickly.

We don't have to ponder whether they are talking about us behind our backs because if they have something to say, it will be said to us directly.

We don't have to wonder if we can rely on them because direct people are trustworthy.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were all direct?

Today, I will let go of my notions that it is somehow good or desirable to be indirect. Instead, I will strive for honesty, directness, and clarity in my communication. I will let directness in my relationships begin with me.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©

 

*******************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Walk In Dry Places

Acceptance.
 
Things I can't fix
One of the sad realities of life is that we're awash in disorder that we can't fix. All around us, the world seethes and festers with aliments and injustices that are beyond our control.
 
We can react by becoming angry or by making quixotic efforts to solve some of these problems. Our best course, however, is to apply our 12 Step program to life in this world. The Serenity Prayer suggests we accept what we can't change. A slogan reminds us to set priorities ("First things First.") The Eleventh Step remind us to always seek our Higher Power's will.
 

This will enable me to live effectively while doing my best to serve others. In time, I may even discover that I can fix a few of the seemingly insoluble problems around me.
 
Action for the Day: I'll realize today that I have the ability only to do certain things within my sphere of experience. I'll see to it, however, that I do these things well.
 

***********************

One Day At A Time
 
The Joys of Service

They loved me enough to know and give me exactly what I needed.
All I thought about as I was making the coffee was making the coffee
and how people would enjoy it. At my sponsor's suggestion,
I stood near the coffeepot and welcomed everyone who came by.
I must have experienced a million smiles in a very short time.
And when I pushed the broom all I concentrated on
was the dust rising from it as I moved across the floor.
My troubles were gone for the time that I was doing these things.
And so it can be for you.
If you can't live and you can't die, make coffee.
- The Home Group: Heartbeat of AA, p. 43

Thought to Ponder . . .
Service puts feet on my prayers.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A B C =
Ashtrays, Brooms, Coffee.
 
********************
Daily Motivation

Meaningful doing

Do you ever find that you are merely trying and not really doing? If so, you’re not being who you truly are.

You don’t have to try to authentically be yourself. And in being yourself is where you’ll be most effective.

There is no power, only conflict, in trying to be someone or something you’re not. Instead of fighting against yourself, use your energy to more fully be and express yourself.

What you experience as trying, is not really you. What you step forward and do, without hesitation, without excuses and with great enthusiasm, is where you’ll create the most meaningful value.

Trying wastes precious time that could be much more gainfully invested in doing. Trying means that the direction you’re headed is not the direction in which you’re committed to going.

Yes, by all means make the difficult, challenging, complicated and effective efforts. Go beyond the meaningless trying and fill your life with meaningful doing.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment