Friday, July 15, 2011

Daily Motivation 7-15-11

Friday, July 15, 2011
Today's Gift

There is nothing you can say in answer to a compliment. I have been complimented myself a great many times, and they always embarrass me - I always feel that they have not said enough. —Mark Twain

Hearing the good words and praise of another person is harder for some of us to accept than criticism and abuse. Perhaps it is easier to receive what we are accustomed to, or maybe we feel a loss of control when someone compliments us. This is a time for us to begin accepting others' actions. We do not need to be in control of our relationships at all times. When friends offer sincere compliments, we don't need to push them away or brush them off.

All we need to do is allow others' positive messages to come into us. In a good relationship we listen to the feelings of our friends, and sometimes that means truly listening as they tell us their good feelings about us.

Today, I will be open to the compliments that come my way without controlling them.

From Touchstones: A Book of Daily Meditations for Men©

*******************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Walk In Dry Places

Reaching objectives.
 
The Possible Dream
Although we hear people ridicule the practice of daydreaming, we also hear them express admiration for people who pursued and realized their dreams. How do we know when we are pursing the right dreams?
 
Useful, effective dreams may seem farfetched, but they still have a possibility of fulfillment. In some ways, they're tied to what we can do if we have the right opportunities and use our talents properly.

 
Fantasies, or useless dreams, can never happen. Fantasies are often based on our past and how it might have been different. It's also useless to fantasize about feats that are completely beyond anything we could ever do. These dreams are a waste of time and energy.

 
What's exciting, however, is that very person can find dreams that are possible and based on reality. It's important to pursue these dreams and bring them into realization.

 
Action for the Day: I'll keep my realistic dreams very much alive today, knowing they're the patterns I need for reaching my long-term objectives.
 
***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Expectations

Above all, I was suffering inner pain because my performance and
my accomplishments in life failed to live up to my own expectations of myself.
I had to anesthetize that pain with alcohol. Of course, the more I drank,
the more unrealistic my expectations became and the poorer my performance,
and the gap widened. So the need to drink grew still greater.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 556

Thought to Ponder . . .
My disappointments are equal to my expectations.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
I S M =
I Sabotage Myself.
 
********************
Daily Motivation

Gifts you give yourself

Are you burdened by your consequences, or is your life blessed by the consequences you create? That depends entirely on the choices you make.

It may seem at times that the consequences are there to punish you. Actually, they’re there as a manifestation of your thoughts, your actions and your attitude.

You cannot change the consequences that surely flow from specific actions. However, you can indeed change the actions you choose to take, and by doing so you can decide which consequences you create.

Consequences are gifts you give to yourself, created by the choices you make. If you don’t like the consequences you’ve been getting, that’s a clear and valuable message you’re sending yourself.

Positive, authentic, meaningful thoughts and actions bring desirable consequences. As reliably as day follows night, the way you live creates the life you experience.

Take control of your consequences by putting positive intention into your choices. Make use of the power you have, and you can go wherever you choose.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment