Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Daily Motivation 7-12-11

Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Today's Gift
 
"It's better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers."--James Thurber
 
"I believe the purpose of my life is to learn, grow, and be the best possible person I can be," said a group member. "In order to do that, I must ask big questions of myself and God. I ask questions like What's love? What's my life's work? What's the best way to deal with this problem? How can I best plan for the future? Who and What is God? What constitutes an ideal friendship or marriage? What is the purpose of life? and What's preventing me from reaching my goal?'
 
"To me, asking big questions makes life an exciting adventure. I look upon everyone and everything as a partial answer to a larger question. Life is never boring to me. Or lonely. I treasure every experience as a means of expanding my knowledge and understanding."
 
Today I will have more questions than answers. I will ask big questions of my Higher Power and myself. I will search for, and be receptive to, the answers to my questions in my daily experiences and endeavors.
 
You are reading from the book:

The Reflecting Pond by Liane Cordes

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Walk in Dry Places

Being right or wrong____ Honesty
Step Ten advises us to promptly admit it when we're wrong. Perhaps there should be another Step warning us not to be too confident when we're sure we're right.
 
It's true that there are many times when we are right. It's also possible, however, that we might be only 99 percent right, and that tiny fractions of error could mean our downfall.

 
Something is also wrong when we find ourselves vigorously asserting that we're right. We don't have to "admit it" when we're right because being right speaks for itself. In the long run, truth and right action don't really have to be defended. Part of being right is the willingness to believe that we may be wrong, however hard that is to accept.
 

Action for the Day: If I'm wrong today, I'll admit it. If I'm right, I'll refrain from announcing it with too much assurance.
 

***********************

One Day At A Time


Humility

Humility is not about self-judgment or condemnation,
but it does mean knowing, at the core of my being, who I am
and owning my own strengths and limitations.
Humility is about realizing that I have everything to stay clean,
sober, and have a happy life.
Humility is about knowing I don't have to do it alone, that I have a Higher Power
and a support system in the rooms of AA to help me.
- The AA Grapevine, July 2011, p. 27

Thought to Ponder . . .
Humility is not a station we arrive at; it's a way of traveling.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Attitude Adjustment.
 

********************
Daily Motivation

The best there can be

It is by giving of yourself that you fully understand and appreciate how very much you have available to give. It is by making a small difference, again and again, that you realize what an enormous difference you can make.

Do you ever feel like hunkering down and hiding from life because it has been so cruel and difficult? In fact, your best choice is the complete opposite.

If life has disappointed you, it’s because you haven’t opened yourself fully to its wonder and richness. When life is pushing hard against you, it’s because you’ve been holding back.

The external disappointments are possible only because there is beautiful and worthwhile and meaningful internal value. Let that value freely flow out from you, and delight in the experience as it colors your world in a more positive light.

Life’s goodness is made possible by your vision of that goodness. Your dreams are made real by your commitment to them.

Give the best that you have. And you’ll experience the best there can be.

— Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment