Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Daily Motivation 11-16-10

Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Today's Gift
 
Fair play is primarily not blaming others for anything that is wrong with us. -- Eric Hoffer

It's tempting to blame others for our problems. Recovery asks us to answer for our actions. Admitting we are powerless over our alcohol and other drugs is a start. Each of the Twelve Steps asks us to answer for our actions in some way. And the program shows us how to do this.

Over time, we see that being responsible for our actions is the best way to live. Our self-confidence grows as we become more responsible. We start to see just how much we can do. We have gone from being drunks to being responsible people. If we can do this, then we can do anything!

Prayer for the Day

I pray to remember that I'm responsible for my actions. Blaming puts distance between me and other people. Higher Power, help me to play fair.

Action for the Day

Today, I'll list four times I've blamed someone else for a problem that was really my problem

You are reading from the book:

Keep It Simple by Anonymous

********************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Mishaps are like knives that either serve us or cut us, as we grasp them by the blade or the handle. --Herman Melville


We have hung on in hard times. We made it through our addiction. Some of us have lived through abuse. We’ve felt like our hearts were broken. But we’ve proven we are survivors. Now we’re learning that we can heal.
Being recovery doesn’t mean things will be easy. But we have a Higher Power to help us. We have friends who listen to us, care for us, and help us through the pain. Because of our recovery program, we’re able to keep hope and love in our lives---One Day at a Time.

Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, help me through the hard times. Help me trust in Your love and care.
 
Action for the Day:  Today, I’ll plan ahead with my sponsor. What will I do now so that I’ll have strong support when hard times come?
 
***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Singleness of Purpose
~ Scroll down for share ~
 
It is the great paradox of AA that we know we can seldom keep the precious gift
of sobriety unless we give it away. . .
For us, if we neglect those who are still sick,
there is unremitting danger to our own lives and sanity.
our Society has concluded that it has but one high mission --
to carry the AA message to those who don't know there's a way out.
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 151

Thought to Ponder . . .
There is no strength without unity.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A =
Always Awesome.

A Member Shares:
Hi! My name is Dawnmarie and I am a sober alcoholic. Singleness of purpose seems to me to be the backbone or to go hand-in-hand with unity. I believe that more than outside issues threaten our unity at times -- often we are divided amongst ourselves. The thing I try to live by is doing all things with love. If I live by that motivation, I cannot devalue another. There are disagreements, we argue, we complain -- but now I understand that unity which persists through diversity is strongest unity. When we have a difference of opinion on how to treat the newcomer, how to sponsor, and how to work the Steps, really what we are doing is offering choices. As long as we continue to treat each other with love, our unity remains intact and we present a united force when we stick with our single purpose -- to be there for the alcoholic who still suffers, and to be there for each other to help maintain sobriety. That, to me, is the greatest love we can offer. Thanks for letting me share, and for loving me like you do!
 

******************** 
Daily Motivation
 
Promote your wish to a dream
 
How do you know if your dream is big enough? If you're working steadily and enthusiastically in the direction of that dream every day, it's big enough.
 
But what if your dream is not compelling enough to constantly motivate you forward no matter what? Then it's really more of a wish, and not much use to you at all.
 
If that's the case, consider making it bigger and more meaningful. Promote it from a wish to a true, life-changing dream.
 
When the obstacles and challenges are great, make sure your dream is even greater. In those situations when you must push forward, it is essential to have something truly meaningful to push toward.
 
If you live just to get through the day, you'll end up doing it over and over again with nothing much to show for your efforts. Choose instead to dream big dreams, and get real fulfillment from your time and effort.
 
You can wish for what might be nice, and you'll probably be disappointed. Instead, reach deep inside, truly dream of how good you know life can be, and make that dream so big you absolutely must bring it to life.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment