Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Daily Motivations 10-13-10

Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Today's Gift
 
When you do all the talking you only learn what you already know. --Anonymous

One of the secrets for finding answers to any emotional problem is to talk with fellow members we can confide in fully. We don't need to look any farther than our sponsor or the members who are part of our recovery. We quickly find those who always hear with a complete understanding about how we feel.

Such friends are perfect listeners because they have suffered and survived the same types of problems. They are compassionate and sympathetic. They listen to us patiently while we completely describe our emotions. Only then do they share details about how they survived. Just knowing that they understand is comforting to us.

My listeners can't solve my problems for me. But they do show how they used the tools that are available in the Program to work through the same kinds of problems.

You are reading from the book:

Easy Does It by Anonymous


 
*****************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
 
Keep It Simple
 
Self-pity is one of the most dangerous forms of self-centeredness. It fogs our vision. -Kathy S.


Sometimes we get stuck in our own way of seeing things. We may feel as if everything that happens, happens to us or for us. If it rains, we may think about our ruined picnic and not about the dry fields that need the rain. We need to focus on the big picture. This keeps us from becoming self-centered. If it rains, we’ll gather indoors and be glad for the farmers. When we do our part, things go well. When we don’t we feel it. Every else feels it too. Self pity keeps us from doing our part.

Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, help me see myself as a big part of the picture. My job is just is to do my part.

Action for the Day:  Today, I’ll think about how I fit in with my Higher Power, my family, the place I work, my community. Do I do my part?
 
************************

One Day At A Time
 
Change
~ Scroll down for share ~
 
Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 84

Thought to Ponder . . .
Learn to change, change to learn.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A B C =
Acceptance, Belief, Change.

A MEMBER SHARES:
My name is Joann, and I am an alcoholic. I picked this topic for totally selfish reasons. I chose it is because I logged on a couple of hours ago, and suddenly began to feel discombobulated. I was all confused -- things were different, and I immediately went into a paranoid state of mind. The first thought I had was, what did I do wrong that they changed the whole AA Online site to kick me out? Fortunately, I quickly checked myself and remembered it's not all about me. But I must admit I did have that fleeting thought because I was suddenly thrust into an uncomfortable zone for me. Fortunately, I have some tools nowadays. I like to call it my spiritual tool kit, and I remembered that it is NOT all about me -- that I was witnessing changes; different ways to chat, no "contact" list, no ability to PC someone, no ability to whisper. But I was helped. It was explained that we now are in a new format. I was also told to play around with it a bit, and perhaps would become comfortable like others before me. I know this change is new, I listened to what I was told, and fortunately I didn't follow my first instinct -- which was, "The heck with this. If I can't talk and share in here, I'm gonna go away. I will show 'them.'" It was lucky I reminded myself that it wasn't all about me. It's about us all together in here sharing. We need to reach out to people who are confused when they come in here with the new format. We need each other, and it is the principle I live by now. It was a great reminder to me to reach out for help, and to help when others reach out. Thank you for letting me share.
 
 

*********************
Daily Motivation
 
Subjective reality
 
If you're having a difficult day, is it the day itself that's difficult? No, it is the way you perceive and interpret the events of the day that make it feel so difficult.
 
Remember that you can always change your perception. You can always choose the way you interpret and respond to whatever happens in your world.
 
Those who make a habit of achieving great things operate within exactly the same objective reality as everyone else. What sets achievers apart is a more positive, empowering subjective reality that they create with their own perceptions.
 
Much of what happens in the world is out of your control. Yet all of what you do about whatever happens is yours to choose, to direct and to perform as you please.
 
Decide to see yourself as empowered by events, and you will naturally take empowering, effective actions. Focus your subjective reality around the values and goals that are truly meaningful to you, and through that reality you can employ those values to achieve those goals.
 
Look at life with a positive, purposeful perspective. And make reality work for you.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment