Monday, October 4, 2010

Daily Motivation 10-4-10

Monday, October 4, 2010
Today's Gift
 

Today I will surrender to that which I cannot control.

Surrender does not mean giving up when I need to be persistent; it means letting go of that which I can't change. Surrender doesn't mean I stop trying; it means I try, and then I surrender to the outcome.

If I need to find a place to live, I can look in the paper, on the Internet, in rental or real estate publications. I can ask friends or drive around and look. I can fill out applications, make a good impression, and follow up with phone calls. I can think positively by getting ready to move, asking friends to help, fixing up the place that I'm leaving or imagining where I will put my furniture in a new place. But I will surrender to the outcome by not calling the landlord or real estate agent again and again. I will not repeatedly drive by the place where I hope to live or stop my search when I find a place I like. I will do my part and then surrender to the rest. I can believe and trust that whatever happens is for the best.

What I think I want for myself - and what I may try to force - may not ultimately be in my best interest. I will let go of constantly thinking about and analyzing the situation, and I will surrender to whatever happens, no matter how long it takes.

You are reading from the book:

Time to Fly Free by Judith R. Smith

 
***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day
 
Walk In Dry Places
 
Achievements
 

Deserving Success
It's said that alcoholics sometimes snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Some of us, deep down inside, don't really think we deserve success. We might be discouraged by feelings of guilt or low self-esteem, or perhaps we don't want to become targets of envy or competitive attacks.


We need to practice acceptance of our current situation, always believing that we do have a right to achievements that match our talents and experience, indeed, such achievements may only be possible now that we're sober and thinking rightly.

Some people think that our occupations and our program are separate matters. But the very last idea in the 12 Steps is to practice our principles "in all our affairs."   If we take the view that any useful work is a form of service, we'll find opportunities to be beneficial to everyone. With that attitude, we will also realize that we deserve success.

Action For the Day: I ‘ll know today that I have a right to do well in any legitimate activity for which I am qualified.
 
***********************

One Day At A Time
 
Acceptance
Suppose life deals me one crushing blow after another, none of them deserved.
What can I do about it? Well, I can weep and whine.
If that doesn't improve things, I can get drunk. And if that doesn't work,
I can kill myself. Or I can accept the situation and live. Those are my only options.
Living appears to be the best; if things should happen to improve,
I will be around to benefit.
- The Best of the Grapevine [Vol. 1], p. 29

Thought to Ponder . . .
Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A B C =
Acceptance, Belief, Change.
 
******************** 
Daily Motivation
 
Expect more
 
This is already a wonderful day. Expect it to get even better.
 
There are many interesting and useful things you already know. Expect to learn even more.
 
You've successfully navigated through every past challenge. Expect to reap even greater success from the challenges you now face.
 
There is already great value in your life and in your world. Expect to create even more.
 
As good as life is, you can make it even richer and more fulfilling. Expect to move forward today and you'll find a way, no matter what, to make real progress.
 
If you knew without a doubt that you would get what you expect, what would you expect? Truly expect the best of today and you'll find those expectations leading you steadily forward.
 
-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment