Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Daily Motivations 8-25-2010

Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Today's Gift

When a person drowns himself in negative thinking he is committing an unspeakable crime against himself. -- Maxwell Maltz

Negative thoughts can rule our lives as compulsively as an addiction. The feelings of power we get from holding a dismal and gloomy outlook deprive us of the positive and pleasant parts of life. Some of us have said, "If I expect the worst, I won't be disappointed. If I think the worst about myself, no one else can cut me down." It is like taking a driving trip and looking only for trash and garbage in the ditches, ignoring the beauty beyond. Indeed, what we see may be real, but it is a very limited piece of the picture.

When we have relied on negative thinking, it feels risky to give it up. We cannot do it in one day. We can begin by imagining ourselves with a more open attitude toward ourselves and the world. Then we can try it out as an experiment in little ways, with no commitment. Finally we reach the point where we can take a risk and entrust our Higher Power with the outcome.

Today, I will experiment with hopeful and positive thoughts about what happens.

You are reading from the book:



*****************************

Twenty-Four Hours A Day
Keep It Simple

 
In every real man a child is hidden that wants to play.---Friedrick Nietzsche



All of us have a child inside. We may see that child as a friend or as a enemy.
Many of us were taught that growing up meant doing away with our inner child. It was as if being a child was bad and being an adult was good. If we try to be only an adult, the child cries, ”Let me run free and show you the beauty of the world.” If we try to be only a child, we find the adult in using us saying, “It’s time to grow up.”


Let’s find a balance. Remember, the adult needs the wonder found in the eyes of the child. Remember, the child needs the loving care of the adult. The child lives where we find our spirit. Our Higher Power is the prefect balance of the two.


Prayer for the Day:  Higher Power, help me be both the child and the adult. I need both.


Action for the Day:  Today, I’ll make time to be a child and to be an adult.

************************

One Day At A Time

Acceptance
~ Scroll down for share ~

Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.
Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober;
unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I cannot be happy.
I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world
as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitude.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 417

Thought to Ponder . . .
My serenity is directly proportional to my level of acceptance.
AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A B C =
Acceptance, Belief, Change.

A MEMBER SHARES:My name is John, and I'm an alcoholic. I had no desire to accept anything but what I wanted when drunk. If it interfered with my self-will run riot, it was unacceptable. I couldn't accept you -- you didn't understand. I came to AA shattered physically, mentally, spiritually. I attended a gazillion meetings, three Step meetings each week, Big Book meetings, speaker, discussion meetings. I got to listen to people like you and others. I met a wonderful sponsor who helped me live 12 Steps. People in the rooms kept talking about page 449 [417 in 4th Edition], the Acceptance page. Acceptance? I thought this was about my drinking? But I kept going back day after day to the meetings. My sponsor and I talked a lot in the car after the meetings. He suggested I listen closely in Step meetings, so I did. I listened to how you had learned to accept life on life's terms. I learned how you accepted people as they were that day and not how you wanted them to be. I heard tons of examples how you turned things over to God which were too big for you. And day by day, I started to get better as I started reading the 12 and 12 and Big Book, attending a lot of meetings, and talking with my sponsor. I read it in the Big Book with my own eyes, "Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today." It told me that unless I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober. It instructed me that unless I could accept life on life's terms, I could not live serenely and happily. I needed to concentrate not on what needs to be changed in you, but focus on what I need to change about me and my outlook. As time passed, my wife seemed less nagging, more enjoyable to be with. Who had changed? You all know the answer to that. As day after day of sobriety evolved, you people didn't seem like such jerks. Maybe I'd try not telling you how to lead your life today, and focus on John just being John, with HP at the wheel. And you know, it's made all the difference in my sobriety. Thank you for letting me share.


********************* 
Daily Motivation

Just do


There is no need to try. Just do.


Feel what you feel without judgment or regret. Those feelings connect you with the power of your authentic purpose.


Use your head wisely to follow your heart faithfully. There's much that you can think, and yet even more that you can know.


Let the experience of each moment come, and then let it go. Rest assured that the goodness will stay with you always, because you love it so.


Be now in spirit where you would most like to be. Imagine waves of pure joy as they carry you along.


Somewhere within you, all is well, no matter when, no matter what. Feel the peace of knowing the beauty of who you truly are.


-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment