Monday, August 23, 2010

Daily Motivations 8-23-2010

Monday, August 23, 2009
Today's Gift

When will we become lovable? When will we feel safe? When will we get all the protection, nurturing, and love we so richly deserve? We will get it when we begin giving it to ourselves. —Beyond Codependency

The idea of giving ourselves what we want and need can be confusing, especially if we have spent many years not knowing that it's okay to take care of ourselves. Taking our energy and focus off others and their responsibilities and placing that energy on to our responsibilities and ourselves is a recovery behavior that can be acquired. We learn it by daily practice.

We begin by relaxing, by breathing deeply, and letting go of our fears enough to feel as peaceful as we can. Then, we ask ourselves: What do I need to do to take care of myself today, or for this moment?

What do I need and want to do?

What would demonstrate love and self-responsibility?

Am I caught up in the belief that others are responsible for making me happy, responsible for me? Then the first thing I need to do is correct my belief system. I am responsible for myself.

Do I feel anxious and concerned about a responsibility I've been neglecting? Then perhaps I need to let go of my fears and tend to that responsibility.

Do I feel overwhelmed, out of control? Maybe I need to journey back to the first of the Twelve Steps.

Have I been working too hard? Maybe what I need to do is take some time off and do something fun.

Have I been neglecting my work on daily tasks? Then maybe what I need to do is get back to my routine.

There is no recipe, no formula, no guidebook for self care. We each have a guide, and that guide is within us. We need to ask the question: What do I need to do to take loving, responsible care of myself? Then, we need to listen to the answer. Self-care is not that difficult. The most challenging part is trusting the answer, and having the courage to follow through once we hear it.

Today, I will focus on taking care of myself. I will trust myself and my Higher Power to guide me in this process.
From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990

 

 

 ***************************
Twenty-Four Hours a Day

Keep It Simple


Words are the voice of the heart. --Confucius

What does my heart have to say today? Am I happy? Or am I troubled? We will find this out if we slow down and listen to our words. We can also hear our spirit in the tone of our words.

We are to meditate. Meditation is about slowing down so we can hear what our spirit is trying to tell us. Meditation is listening. Our spirit is but a quiet whisper inside us. To hear it we must quiet ourselves.

Slowing down allows us to find our center. As we find our center we find our spirit and our Higher Power.

Do I take the time needed to slow myself down? Do I take the time to listen - to listen to my heart?


Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, teach me to slow down. Teach me to listen. Teach me to hear Your whispers as well as Your yells.

Action for the Day: Today, I will take a half hour to slow down and listen. I will find a place to relax and listen to my heart and my words.

 

***********************

One Day At A Time

Journey


Words cannot begin to describe the feelings in my heart
as I sometimes ponder how much my life has changed, how far I've come,
and how much there is yet to discover.
And though I'm not sure where my journey may take me next,
I know I'll owe it to the grace of God and to three words of the Twelve Steps:
continue, improve, and practice.
Oh, and one more thing they told me: Humility is the key.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 511

Thought to Ponder . . .
The joy is in the journey, so enjoy the ride.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
C H A N G E = C
hoosing Humility Allows New Gifts and Energy.

********************
Daily Motivation

This unique day

Today is a new day, so live it that way. Make use of this day to bring new experience into your life.

Certainly there are things that must be attended to again and again. Yet there's always time, and always a way, to make each and every day unique.

Keep your life fresh and invigorating. Keep yourself open to new possibilities.

There's something new you can learn, or accomplish, or experience today that will add real value to your life.

Live today's unique opportunities while they are here.

You're not here to just pass the time. You're immersed in a universe that's filled with every possibility.

See the beauty, feel the wonder, experience the miracle of your life in new and joyous ways. Fully live the one-of-a-kind day that's yours right now.

-- Ralph Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment