Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Daily Motivation 4-6-10

Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Today's Gift
Recognizing Choices
We have choices, more choices than we let ourselves see.

We may feel trapped in our relationships, our jobs, our life.

We may feel locked into behaviors such as caretaking or controlling. Feeling trapped is a symptom of codependency.

When we hear ourselves say, I have to take care of this person . . . I have to say yes . . . I have to try to control that person . . . I have to behave this way, think this way, feel this way . . . we can know we are choosing not to see choices.

That sense of being trapped is an illusion. We are not controlled by circumstances, our past, the expectations of others, or our unhealthy expectations for ourselves. We can choose what feels right for us, without guilt. We have options.

Recovery is not about behaving perfectly or according to anyone else's rules. More than anything else, recovery is about knowing we have choices and giving ourselves the freedom to choose.

Today, I will open my thinking and myself to the choices available to me. I will make choices that are good for me.


You are reading from the book:
The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie

******************************************************
Twenty-Four Hours d Day
Keep It Simple

To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. ---Chinese proverb
We're going down a new-road---in our recovery and in our lives. We don't know the road. We only know we're on the right one, because our Higher Power led us here. We ask for help from those who already know the road. We ask our sponsor, "How far is it until I get done feeling guilty?"

"How far to self-love?" "How bumpy is the road when I'm at Step Four?" We need people who have been in the program. They tell us where to slow down because this part of the trip is beautiful. Someday, maybe today, we too will be called on to guide others.

Prayer for the Day: Higher Power, You've put me on this road. You've also put others on this road. Let them be my guide. Let my guides become my friends.

Action for the Day: Today, I’ll find someone who has been in the program two or more years longer than me. I'll ask that person what the road ahead is like.

******************************************************
One Day At A Time
Time
And what is time to me now? It is a most precious asset. I have the luxury of being able to cherish the memory of yesterday, to live today with serenity, to wait for tomorrow.
I find great contentment in just knowing where I was and where I am. And I am grateful, grateful for the existence of Alcoholics Anonymous; grateful to my God for leading me to the doors of AA and to Himself, grateful for hope.
- The Best of the Grapevine, [Vol. 2]. p. 21

Thought to ponder . . .
I am grateful for this minute. My eternity may be in it.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
T I M E =
This Is My Eternity.
***************************************************
Daily Motivation

Honor this day
Feel what a privilege it is to be alive today. Consider all the possibilities available to you, right now.

See the wonder and the beauty all around you. Let yourself truly love who you are and where you are in this moment.

Sense the eagerness within you to get started, to make things happen, and to create value. That eagerness comes from your genuine excitement about expressing yourself through your accomplishments.

Look at all the new ways that this day gives you to express who you are. Even the troubles, even the problems, and even the obstacles give meaning to life because they give you something to build upon.

Life's many circumstances and situations give you a way to pull yourself up, and rise to a new level of being. Whatever comes your direction gives you a way to create value that will last beyond this day, value that will be with you always.

Honor this day, honor the possibilities in this day, honor the love and the beauty in this day. Look around at all you have, and in this moment make it, in your own way, into something truly great.

-- Ralph Marston

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We can overcome if we change the way we See: See ourselves, See our past, See our possibilities."

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment